• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are eye-relief differences across scope copies induced by EPs only? (1 Viewer)

mskb

Everyone,

This question came up as myself and another forum member were discussing ER.

Can the objective contribute at all to a noticed ER difference across two scopes / is it all determined by EPs?

We do come across long eye relief EPs for a given scope type, so I also wonder if they completely rectify ER issues a user might have.

Thanks!
Kumar

With the eyepiece you are viewing a virtual image produced by the objective. For those with normal vision the scope would be focussed so as to place this image in the focal plane of the eyepiece. Rays emanating from various points on the objective image would emerge from the eyepiece as parallel bundles and these bundles cross at the exit pupil.
The distance from the eye lens of the eyepiece to the exit pupil is the eye relief. This is independent of the objective.
One does sometimes read of amateur astronomers using a Barlow lens to increase eye relief. However, the Barlow lens effectively increases the focal length of the objective enabling one to use a longer focal length eyepiece for the same magnification. In general, the longer the focal length of the eyepiece, the longer the eye relief.

John

Very interesting reading and maybe it will be helpful when I go to buy my next pair of eye glass frames, along with any new lens adjusting if needed. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back