• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Birds of Prey Found Dead" (1 Viewer)

I agree with Scott that the landowners and estate owners should be held directly responsible, not one of their employee's eg. the gamekeeper. The owner usually ends up paying the fine of the keeper. I dont know how the law could be changed for this but I reckon it would help end this practice overnight - except perhaps for syndicate shoots ( then they would all be to blame ! ). This would give the landowner the right to sue the keeper for loses, and presumably the right to sack him for malpractice and or acting irresponsibly. Keeper doesn't want to lose his job....... A messy situation for all, best avoided.

Simplistic, perhaps, but this sort of nonsense should not be happening in the 21st century. Whilst we are on the subject the whole gun/sporting thing needs addressing - there should be more regulation like there is in European countries where shooters have to sit quarry iD exams, marksmanship tests etc. If I wanted to become a qualified ringer it would ( quite rightly ) take 2 to 3 years hard work under strict supervision. This is for live catching, handling and realising ( unharmed ) wild birds. If I want to Wildfowl ( kill and maim wild birds ) all I need is a shotgun licence easily obtained by references and within days/ weeks I can be on the Ythan estuary blowing the s**t out of anything that moves ( I have seen wildfolwlers shoot at Lapwings, gulls etc here - they new what they were just didn't care). Bit of an irony really.

Sorry for the rant, guess all this has awakened some old wounds,

Linz

On shooting - there is of course a difference between going out with a gun bagging some birds and taking them home and eating them and playing space invaders on a big shoot.

I'm not going to do either but the first doesn't bother me the later does.

I too have no problem with so called rough shooters who act responsibly - I have always held the view that it is in their interests also for there to be a plentiful supply of wildfowl / wild game birds, and properly managed this can benefit eveyone. Regulation will not deter these serious people ( just as it wont someone wishing to become a ringer ) - it will however, make it harder for the cowboys - the type that shoot at Lapwings etc.

Best wishes,

Lindsay

dear ian whittle , shooting only what is legal my friend if a game keeper is guilty of killing the birds of prey then i say he deserves all he gets , as to lots of keepers sitting in the pub together talking about what they aregoing to kill next , its not april the first yet my friend, like wise lindsay cargill you say trapping bird and release them alive and well after ringing not all my friend i have seen birds hanging in mist nets at first light and they were still there two hours later , when the ringer finaly turned up to see to them there was a dead robin , chaffince, and chiffchaff in the net all dead from shock , as to getting a gun and going out on to the ythan estuary well things must be a lot differant were you live here you have to join a wildfowling club youhave to pass a test on your knowledge of wild fowl then after many outings under supervision you can go on your own , still nice to know you dont mind us true rough shooters ,

derekjake said:
like wise lindsay cargill you say trapping bird and release them alive and well after ringing not all my friend i have seen birds hanging in mist nets at first light and they were still there two hours later , when the ringer finaly turned up to see to them there was a dead robin , chaffince, and chiffchaff in the net all dead from shock , as to getting a gun and going out on to the ythan estuary well things must be a lot differant were you live here you have to join a wildfowling club youhave to pass a test on your knowledge of wild fowl then after many outings under supervision you can go on your own , still nice to know you dont mind us true rough shooters ,

The intention of ringing is not to kill birds, it is to study the migrational movements of the animals and gain a better understanding of their biology and conservation. I can't comment on your reference to dead birds in mist nets - some of the ringers on this list might have something to say about your allegations. Not positive I would assume.

I am glad and welsome the fact that your wildfowling club have some kind of regulation - it clearly is different up here, unless someone can confuse Lapwing with Golden Plover, and various Gull sp. as Geese. There is no permit situation on the Ythan at Newburgh as long as you shoot below the HWM ( which they don't ) , there is no cold weather ban in place and that the quarry are in season. Funny thing is its also a SNH Nature Reserve ...............

Someone I know overheard a (presumably) gamekeeper in a pub in Scotland bragging to his mates about killing a White-tailed Eagle. So it does happen.

The police were informed, but its very doubtful they'd be able to do anything with no evidence.

Michael

Its April the first today, but the only fools are those who engage in raptor persecution, drink too much and talk loudly in their group (probably thinking they are talking quiet). I agree responsable gamekeepers should be given a round of applause, and appreciate their hard work and the habitats they look after. Though really the end product is not to create habitat for the likes of nuthatch and finches, but to make it easier for the shooters (legally i might add), and to provide some nice ponds where future "sport" can be enjoyed by the same.

hi elizabeth , just thought of some more intersets == being a grandad , being able to work out side , watching birds , filming birds , taking my grandchildren to the zoo, being out at night under the stars , ect

derekjake said:
hi elizabeth , just thought of some more intersets == being a grandad , being able to work out side , watching birds , filming birds , taking my grandchildren to the zoo, being out at night under the stars , ect

I must have anothe look at your Profile!

dear ian , many thanks for the round of appaluse , i do not deny the wood clearing was done to benifit the shoot but if in doing so it is a benifit to other bird life surly this must be a good thing , like wise the game cover i grow and the wheat i feed the pheasant all winter is food and shelter to all types of birds during the coldest time of the year, sorry but you are wrong about the pond it was dug for conservation and my own pleasure not for shooting ,

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back