• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I.D. Orange-Crowned warbler ? (1 Viewer)

stephennj

This series of photos were taken today in Sandy Hook NJ. a late fall migrating Warbler.
This bird had a regular habit of bobbing it's tail up and down , could it be a Prairie Warbler?
Let me know what you think!!
thanks, Stephen

Attachments

• shwarbler.jpg
    shwarbler.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 146
  • shwarbler2.jpg
    shwarbler2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 106
  • shwarbler3.jpg
    shwarbler3.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 129
  • shwarbler4.jpg
    shwarbler4.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 145
  • shwarbler5.jpg
    shwarbler5.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 151
I think it is a PALM WARBLER (see Sibley p441).
In some of the photos I think I see some color in the bill, which would indicate a hatch year bird.

stephennj said:
This series of photos were taken today in Sandy Hook NJ. a late fall migrating Warbler.
This bird had a regular habit of bobbing it's tail up and down , could it be a Prairie Warbler?
Let me know what you think!!
thanks, Stephen

Agreed. Palm Warbler was my instant reaction before reading the other posts. The striking supercilium (the pale stripe above the eye) immediately rules out Orange-crowned Warbler, as does that contrastingly yellowish rump. To my (western) eye, Orange-crowned Warbler is notable for its almost complete lack of striking field marks!

Palm Warbler

Edit: How the **** did Orange-crowned Warbler get into the picture? Too much single malt last night methinks!

Last edited:
Thanks all so much for your informative help ! I think it's a closed case
I wish I had the Sibley's guide-
-maybe Santa will come thru

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back