• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fujinon SHS 10X42 (1 Viewer)

Bowman

I decided to publish again an old post which did not created any comments. Perhaps it will this time.

Does anyone have any experience with Fujinon SHS 10X42 binoculars?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...u=206840&is=USA

They are also manufactured in the USA (Corion) for some military use and are also used by the Israeli army.

Their price seem to be very attractive and I wonder about their optical and mechanical quality.

Your attached link with B&H Photo is coming up as an ERROR. I also note that B&H's ad in the current issue of Popular Photography does not list any binoculars. Adorama's ad lists 9 different Fujinon Bins but not this one. Baker Marine, www.bakermarineusa.com. lists an HS model roof prism. They don't mention phase coating and at the price listed ($289.00) they probably don't have it. They are built rugged and waterproof but have a short eye relief of 10mm. They also have a FOV of 393' which is remarkably wide for a 10x roof prism! Baker Marine is Fujinon's authorized repair facility in the USA.

I have a rather old (15 to 20 yrs?) Fujinon 4000 7 x 42 Center Focus Roof Prism Bin. They have very long ER but a narrow 6 degree 30 second FOV. They were pre phase coating and were not expensive, about $150.00. They don't have the best optics but are adequate. They didn't make many of them, the serial number on mine is under 300. The only Fujinon's I've seen advertised recently are their flagship Polaris Porro Prisms and their stabilized bins.
Bob

Last edited:
ceasar said:
Your attached link with B&H Photo is coming up as an ERROR. I also note that B&H's ad in the current issue of Popular Photography does not list any binoculars. Adorama's ad lists 9 different Fujinon Bins but not this one. Baker Marine, www.bakermarineusa.com. lists an HS model roof prism. They don't mention phase coating and at the price listed ($289.00) they probably don't have it. They are built rugged and waterproof but have a short eye relief of 10mm. They also have a FOV of 393' which is remarkably wide for a 10x roof prism! Baker Marine is Fujinon's authorized repair facility in the USA.

I have a rather old (15 to 20 yrs?) Fujinon 4000 7 x 42 Center Focus Roof Prism Bin. They have very long ER but a narrow 6 degree 30 second FOV. They were pre phase coating and were not expensive, about $150.00. They don't have the best optics but are adequate. They didn't make many of them, the serial number on mine is under 300. The only Fujinon's I've seen advertised recently are their flagship Polaris Porro Prisms and their stabilized bins.
Bob

Thanks for giving your comment.
Indeed there is a problem with BH site.
Here is another link:
http://www.coyotesports.com/SHSpage.htm
Any comments???

Bowman said:
Thanks for giving your comment.
Indeed there is a problem with BH site.
Here is another link:
http://www.coyotesports.com/SHSpage.htm
Any comments???

I'd never get a pair without center focussing for birdwatching. That may be OK for hunting and for military purposes. But with birds, you often need to focus for closer ones. Of course, to some extent your eyes can do that as long as you are under 40.
I used to have a pair of 7x50s with center focus which I hardly ever had to focus as a teenager. Also, I had a pair of 8x30s with individual focus while doing military duty. And though my eyes were still much younger then, I never felt comfortable with that model when I used it to look at birds.

Last edited:
The 10 x 42 HS's I cited above are Center Focus. I should have made that clear. The SHS is a military model that has IF.
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back