• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

65ED where to buy? (1 Viewer)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm thinking of changing my Nikon ED50 for a Pentax 65ED, does anyone know of any good deals kicking about. I'm after a straight scope with a zoom eyepiece.

The Pentax is pretty solid but I changed for the ED50A. Admittedly, with the intention of also getting an ED82A, which I've had for some months now and I couldn't possibly be more satisfied.
Even though I agree the Pentax is a great value, I think the Fieldscopes are better.
Why not an EDIII with a fixed eyepiece?

//L

I have owned both the EDIII and the PF65ED (two units ..maybe three over the years)and the EDIII is a far superior scope..not THAT far, but still...In real use at moderate power ,they would have to be side by side ,but I think the difference would be clear..I star tested all of the pentax units, and didnt found one that was even close to the level of correction that the EDIII showed...But as a System, the Pentax is cool for the use of astronomy eyepieces...Nikon eyepieces are expensive,scarce ,and the choice of zooms,although nice optically,pushes the limits of comfortable viewing a bit too much ..Since a Zoom is what Postcard fancies, the Pentax Is a good choice...A decent Vixen LV will grant 15-45X and excellent image quality for not much money..
but since Lars offered the EDIII option,I will add a third Model...How about the Hawke Endurance 65 ED?,,This scope is also sold as the Celestron regal FL,and uses 1 1/4 astro eyepieces as the Pentax.. the performance seems to be extraordinary,..There are many reviews,and all are good...Comes with a zoom eyepiece , and they offer them on Ebay UK for 350 pounds or best offer...

Hi,

Interesting....there is a difference between the PF65ED and the PF65EDII.

The PF65EDII has a much improved optical system. I have one with both with the XF zoom (20-60x) and the XW 28x wide angle. Both eyepieces are excellent. The PF65EDII and XF zoom clearly outperform my Opticron HR66 ED and HDF Zoom eyepiece, being both brighter, clearer and sharper. I would have to rate the PF65EDII as Alpha quality at half the price. The XW 28x eyepiece is truely massive and very heavy but gives a massive 70 degree field. I think the XF zoom is better suited to the scope.

I did try a Pentax scope a while ago and was very impressed with it, in the situation I tried it (viewing at long distances) it out performed my ED50. I would ideally like to get a Swaro 65HD but suspect that I can't afford to at the moment. From what I have seen if I can't get one of the top end 65mm then the Pentax is the next best thing, though I will try and get out and try the Hawke too.

well having decided on a Pentax I was looking around for a good deal on one and accidently bought a Swaro 65HD instead! I still think the Pentax is a good value scope but am very happy with the Swaro.

I'm chiming in a bit late here, and I do see another scope's been bought, but I did want to post that I found Adorama is still selling the 65ED IIa scope only for $479.00. I picked one up a few weeks ago after a near fruitless search, as it seems the 65 is only being sold with the eyepiece, which I did not need.
Odd thing was, I bought it through buy.com. Good thing was, they were offering bonus points at the time, so I now have $48 to spend on their site.
I have no interest in buy or adorama, just for the record, and I don't know if adorama is offering the scope alone on their site.

Hope that is useful to someone.

I also think that I will be selling my Regal ED80, as I prefer the smaller scope.

Tom

well having decided on a Pentax I was looking around for a good deal on one and accidently bought a Swaro 65HD instead! I still think the Pentax is a good value scope but am very happy with the Swaro.

Nice one! I am going through exactly the same process and have been watching this thread - wanting to upgrade to a larger objective from the ED50 and wishing for a Swaro 65HD. Like you, I'd thought the Pentax was the more viable option financially. Did you get a good deal on your Swaro?
Thanks
Hobbes

Nice one! I am going through exactly the same process and have been watching this thread - wanting to upgrade to a larger objective from the ED50 and wishing for a Swaro 65HD. Like you, I'd thought the Pentax was the more viable option financially. Did you get a good deal on your Swaro?
Thanks
Hobbes

Yeah I found a secondhand one body only at a fair price so decided to go for it. I already had a Swaro eyepiece that I could use with it so body only was ideal. It is a superb scope and I am glad I got it but I still think the Pentax offers amazing value.

If I hadn't bought the Swaro I would have snapped this one up http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2553274#post2553274 still tempted to it...

Yeah I found a secondhand one body only at a fair price so decided to go for it. I already had a Swaro eyepiece that I could use with it so body only was ideal. It is a superb scope and I am glad I got it but I still think the Pentax offers amazing value.

If I hadn't bought the Swaro I would have snapped this one up http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2553274#post2553274 still tempted to it...

That sounds like an ideal solution - thanks for getting back to me. Glad you came across the swaro body.
I'm after an angled scope unfortunately.
Thanks
Hobbes

I picked a body only ED IIA from Adorama for about $479 odd plus NJ state tax. Still a lot cheaper than any of the big name online shops. I already have a straight 80ED for shore and grassland birding and it is brilliant with the XW14 and the Baader 17mm. I am going to do some extensive forest birding at Kerala and Goa soon (These are in India and both are excellent for jungle birds), so wanted a angled small scope to use with my existing EPs. Thought of the Nikon 50ED for a while, but then the forum experts told me to go for a 65ED considering that I already had some good EPs. Now just cant wait to get it in my hands :)

It does makes sense to get the pentax with those great eyepieces ,sure thing!...
And the price was very good..479$ for the angled body is excellent,considering I paid 450$ for a unit maybe 8 years Ago...However...NJ taxes Should Not have applied if the Item was shipped to You outside the State of NJ..
You live in India?...

Anyway
Enjoy the Scope!..

It does makes sense to get the pentax with those great eyepieces ,sure thing!...
And the price was very good..479$ for the angled body is excellent,considering I paid 450$ for a unit maybe 8 years Ago...However...NJ taxes Should Not have applied if the Item was shipped to You outside the State of NJ..
You live in India?...

Anyway
Enjoy the Scope!..

Yes I live in india but a friend who stays in NJ will be carrying it to India for me.

Got my 65 ED A II in my hands. Its a well made scope and really tiny compared to my 80 ED. Funnily, I don't find so much of a difference in weight as I found in size compared to the 80 ED. The focus knob and the EP locker are a bit stiff but I guess that because its brand new. Will try out with different EPs tomorrow morning and post my findings.

Off topic: Will take the 65 to the same spot where I saw hundreds of pied Avocets, Eurasian spoonbills, River terns, Whiskered terns along with sand plovers and Eurasian curlews through my straight 80 last Sunday. Hope the 65 is good enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back