• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lady Amherst's Pheasant (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s some minor additional info on the eponym ...

amherstiae as in:
• Lady Amherst's Pheasant Chrysolophus amherstiae LEADBEATER 1929 ("1928"), here, as "Phasianus Amherstiæ"
= Sarah Amherst (1762–1838), née Archer, a k a Countess Amherst of Arracan (and before that Countess of Plymouth), first wife (in her second marriage) to the British diplomat and colonial administrator William Pitt Amherst (1773–1857)*, the 1st Earl Amherst of Arracan.

In short; she was born 19 July, 1762 .... and before she became Lady Amherst (of Arracan) she was married, 20 May 1778, [not even sixteen years old!], to her first cousin, Other Hickman Windsor, 5th Earl of Plymouth (1751–1799). The year after his death she remarried, with the Earl Amherst of Arracan ... and she died 27 May 1838, in London. After her death her (second) husband married again (25 May 1839) this time to Lady Mary Sackville (1792–1864), who was his first wife's widowed daughter-in-law. They sure must have had some complicated family gatherings!

Sarah Amherst (of Arracan) also collected several plants in India, and introduced many of them back in England. She is, for example, commemorated in the flowering tree "Amherstia nobilis", see here. A picture of the Lady herself is to be seen; here! Some other links worth looking at: here, here, here or here.

Not to confuse (which has been done) with her daughter (from her second Marriage) Sarah Elizabeth Archer (1801–1876), also, like her mother, a keen naturalist ... which I think (!?) is what´s been done here (by the celebrated auction house Christies!)!

However; enjoy!

Björn

*According to the Key her (second) husband is/was commemorated in the two synonyms: amherstiana / amherstii.
--

Last edited:
Ouch! Of course, you are correct. My error, my misstake, my sloppy fingers. I stand corrected.
:brains:

Björn

PS. Luckily, in my MS, it´s described/presented in "December 1828 (published in 1829)" ... phew!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back