• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Central Texas Hummingbirds (1 Viewer)

Scrogdog

The hummingbirds are beginning to show up in this area again, and these two along with a Ruby Throated Hummingbird were feeding today. For some reason, I can't seem to match these two up with anything I have in my field guide. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 146
The hummingbirds are beginning to show up in this area again, and these two along with a Ruby Throated Hummingbird were feeding today. For some reason, I can't seem to match these two up with anything I have in my field guide. Any ideas?

Both have green heads. Both have short heavy bills. The male has a long tail. They both have a lot of gold coloration. They are both Ruby-throated Hummingbirds.

Both have green heads. Both have short heavy bills. The male has a long tail. They both have a lot of gold coloration. They are both Ruby-throated Hummingbirds.

I'm glad you posted your analysis, because I hadn't really looked closely at this thread until you did.

It's true that the male's throat iridescence can be of an uncertain color at certain angles, so I won't throw that in against Ruby-throated. I would agree that the tail seems too long and the bill seems too short for Black-chinned - would it be fair to at least agree that these are both Archilochus? Though the wings are a little too "broad and curved" (as Sibley describes it) for my taste, I'll chalk it up to misleading angle/photograph and agree on the male as a Ruby-throated.

The female... I dunno. This could be a Black-chinned, IMO. Tail seems stubby, head seems more gray than green... We can't see the bill for length analysis.

I'm glad you posted your analysis, because I hadn't really looked closely at this thread until you did.

It's true that the male's throat iridescence can be of an uncertain color at certain angles, so I won't throw that in against Ruby-throated. I would agree that the tail seems too long and the bill seems too short for Black-chinned - would it be fair to at least agree that these are both Archilochus? Though the wings are a little too "broad and curved" (as Sibley describes it) for my taste, I'll chalk it up to misleading angle/photograph and agree on the male as a Ruby-throated.

The female... I dunno. This could be a Black-chinned, IMO. Tail seems stubby, head seems more gray than green... We can't see the bill for length analysis.

They are almost definitely both Archilochus. I will concede on the tail length on the female. I am uncomfortable with the amount of gold in her, and the bill seems to be heavier in structure than I would consider normal on a Black-chinned. Her head has quite a bit of green to the side, but I can not see the crown at this angle, so yes, she is an archilochus and I will back off on the strong statement of Ruby-throated, though I do think that is the more probable call.

I would note also that hybridization is more common than most people think in hummingbirds. I have personally seen three different hybrid combinations, one of which (I have seen three specimens) were probably Ruby-throated X Black-chinned based on bander measurements and observations in hand.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

Thanks for the replies. Sorry the pictures didn't come out as well as I had hoped. They were taken in the late afternoon with cloudy skies above and I tried to use a flash to get their colors to show up and they ended up looking more like a negative than their actual colors. Bird one's entire head looks gray in the natural light and bird two's head was entirely black. I had another bird that was definitely a Ruby Throated with the red throat very well defined, but the two I photographed had no red that I could see and looked much different from one another when I observed them at the feeder. If they return today, I will see if I can get better photos that more accurately show the coloration and submit.

Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back