• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adam's Art (2 Viewers)

you just be very careful if yu need to work on it more! If all that vibrant freshness goes, it will be a great shame. Intrigued to see what you do with it.

Another one finished, could have been better perhaps but pretty happy considering this is something a little different from my usual.

I've also posted a close up of the bird because i couldnt seem to get a photo that showed the bird correctly it always seemed a little over exposed so hopefully the larger pic of the bird shows the detail a bit better.

Attachments

• tn_001.JPG
    tn_001.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 107
  • tn_002.JPG
    tn_002.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
you can be very pleased with the results, perhaps next time you should consider starting the bird with the background and developing them together, sometimes when a bird is added last of all, it changes the entire dynamic of a picture and can look like an afterthought rather than an integral part of the piece. I like the colours in this, a real autumn glow.

you can be very pleased with the results, perhaps next time you should consider starting the bird with the background and developing them together, sometimes when a bird is added last of all, it changes the entire dynamic of a picture and can look like an afterthought rather than an integral part of the piece. I like the colours in this, a real autumn glow.

Thanks, i see what you mean though I've always done my paintings by adding the bird last and it normally seems to work okay. I'm not altogether happy with this one but it does actually look a little better and the bird more part of the picture in the flesh than these photo's make it look.
I'll certainly bare your advice in mind next time I do this kind of painting:t:

Very nice Adam. I have to agree about the 'real autumn glow.'

I'm also sympathetic to the idea of working on the whole picture all at once. But then I don't think I've ever been able to work as you have here, saving the most important part for last. So I don't know what it's like. I do think you've been very successful in doing so though. The bird seems to have just the right amount of brightness and light to it.

Thanks everyone, I've never really thought of painting the bird as i go though as I've said this picture isnt my usual style. I find the adding the birds at the end seems to work well with my normal pictures where it tends to be more concentrating on the sky and water or other background and just adding a few small birds to finish it off but with a painting like this one I can see how it might be better to wrk on the bird as you go.

Thanks again for the kind comments everyone:t:

one more to add: well done for keeping the light

there's wise words in here about at least starting the bird at an early stage so you can keep an eye on it

personally I find that because I don't know if the background is going to go wrong and the whole thing will end up on the reject pile, I don't want to invest too much careful time on the bird early doors..

Great result Adam. You'd like Terry Isaac's book, 'Painting the drama of wildlife'. He talks a lot about gettlng elements from different sources to sit together as a harmonious whole.

Mike

Superb! You can almost extend your arm into the piece! (Though I wouldn't want to flush your subject!:eek!:)
Great seeing this take shape also!

Didnt realise just how long it was since I'd done any painting untili tried to find this thread, thought I'd try a bit of watercolour for a change.

Attachments

• tn_002.JPG
    tn_002.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 78
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back