• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Symonds Yat and Forest of Dean area... (1 Viewer)

Eliter7

Looking to spend a weekend here to enjoy the Peregrines etc but also very keen to tick Goshawk and from previous posts Forest of Dean seems to be good for perhaps both the above and perhaps Crossbill, Dipper and maybe Hawfinch among other treats etc. Would be grateful for info about good spots ( dont know area at all so need fairly good directions/sights etc) about best places to see what and where etc. Have read about a new fancy platform/viewing point at Forest for Gos' etc but no idea where abouts....
Also looking for a good B&B locally if anyone can recommend aswell....
Please help as want to make most of a rare weekend away in this part of world etc.
Many Thanks
Chris.

Chris

New Fancy viewpoint is on the minor road which runs parallel (to the east) of the B4234 Cannop to Parkend road and I think is the best vantage point for Goshawks (also Crossbill here)
Sites that are reliable for Hawfinch are the woods down the slope from the church at Parkend or the trees opposite Speech House (which is at the north end of the New Fancy viewpoint road if I remember rightly).

Nagshead RSPB reserve is worth a look for woodland species as well. I had 3 Hawfinch here a fortnight ago. Link <here>

Gos at New Fancy were awesome two weeks ago, but will be showing less and less as the spring progresses. Certainly most of the display will be over by now. Get there early (i.e 9am), since the birds seem to show much better at this time. From the viewpoint, check out all the tall bare trees, since when I was there, we had stunning views of an enormous female Gos perched for about 30 minutes. The site is <here> - SO628095 if the link fails.

Cannop Ponds area is very good for Mandarin.

Hope this helps,

David

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back