• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The young Gull is still squeaking in backyard. Need help? (1 Viewer)

Gadabout

Follow Me
I do not know if I hit the title, but the point is that for about a week I hear squeak from the yard. Today I noticed that this young gull seems to be making these sounds (I guessed it was Gull but I could not locate him). Of course, I did not give him anything to eat or drink, I did not take him in my arms and I did not take photos with him. I recorded it and kept the distance. I do not know if he needs help, do I have it where to report? It's 11:11 PM (Scotland) and he's screaming every now and then.
And it's not that it somehow bothers me because I'm used to their loud cries, the more that I live on the bottom floor and the gulls are on the roof. I'm just worried about him(cats may want to eat it?).
Does anyone on the basis of his behavior and what he looks like can tell if he needs help?
Below is a link to the movie.

LINK

Last edited:
Yep, a young gull, probably a Herring Gull. It is too young to fly yet, so probably fell off whichever roof it nested on. If you can get to the rooftop, carry it up there and put it back on the roof where its parents can get to it easily. Be careful picking it up, its parents might try to attack!

Yep, a young gull, probably a Herring Gull. It is too young to fly yet, so probably fell off whichever roof it nested on. If you can get to the rooftop, carry it up there and put it back on the roof where its parents can get to it easily. Be careful picking it up, its parents might try to attack!

I was just downstairs, still sitting there. Gulls are gossiped around and I have the impression that they are watching over him. I'm almost sure that they will attack. I was once attacked when I passed a dead gull on the street. If I wanted to move this gull, I would have to bring him to the block, to the apartment and let it out through the window. Or maybe I should call someone? I do not have experience with birds, I would not like to hurt him.

I called Scottish spca and I was informed that if the chick is not in danger (dogs, street, busy place), leave them alone.
At night, the seagull organized a walk through the staircase, went up the stairs to the first floor, leaving feces in several places.

Now everything in the hands of nature.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back