• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Leupold (1 Viewer)

Otto McDiesel

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Leupold,
Could you please bring us a Yosemite 8x30 with 8 degree eyepieces, 15 mm eye relief, and 10 feet close focus?
Could you please please keep field curvature and astigmatism at a minimum?
The kids would very much like one of these under the tree, and the one million and growing baby boomers soon to retire would love an affordable all-around binocular to use for what is one of the fastest growing outdoor activities in the western world (birdwatching). By the way, did you know that wildlife watching, as an industry, is greater than football and Coca Cola combined? Why not grab a piece of the pie with an outstanding $120 8x30?
Thank you kindly,
Luca.

..growing baby boomers soon to retire would love an affordable all-around binocular to use for what is one of the fastest growing outdoor activities ...
I shudder, :eek!: , but luckily most won't get much past the breakfast table and the back yard. So they won't scare ALL my birds away.

I'll go for the 8x30.

Luca,

You must have been reading my mind. I was just playing with my son's Yosemites and was thinking of how much I would love to see an 8x30-40 Yosemite with that same 420 foot field of view and little to no edge distortion...for that price and with that weight and handling.

One can dream.

The idea is great but it might be tough to build what is essentially a 8 x 30 EII copy at half the price. Of course, if one could live with a 380' FOV instead of 440' it might be possible????
Bob

Ask and ye shall receive.

Luca said:
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Leupold,
Could you please bring us a Yosemite 8x30 with 8 degree eyepieces, 15 mm eye relief, and 10 feet close focus?
Could you please please keep field curvature and astigmatism at a minimum?
The kids would very much like one of these under the tree, and the one million and growing baby boomers soon to retire would love an affordable all-around binocular to use for what is one of the fastest growing outdoor activities in the western world (birdwatching). By the way, did you know that wildlife watching, as an industry, is greater than football and Coca Cola combined? Why not grab a piece of the pie with an outstanding $120 8x30?
Thank you kindly,
Luca.

Just released and on the market for sale as I type this. I know the 6x30mm was a bit low on magnification for many - it was created for my daughter (age five then). The idea that anyone with a smaller IPD could not comfortably use binoculars, something I learned form watching my little girl try to use my usual birding bins and becoming frustrated in the process, really bothered me. Fortunately, I had the resources available to solve the problem. Even though they were created as a real (as opposed to a toy) binocular for beginners, I've really enjoy the versatility of the 6x30mm myself and take them with me on every trip into the field.

An 8x30mm model was begun almost as soon as the 6x hit the market. Eight full degrees could not quite be reached in an 8x design, so I hope seven and a half degrees will do.

Cheers,
John

Yosemite 8 X 30

Thanks John,

I am looking for the 8X now. Will buy a pair as soon as they become available. I'm on the wrong side of 60 and need the 8X for my tired eyes.
;>)

Lynn

Thanks Moreorless & FrankD;

At the price point I guess I knew the answer already. In the early 50's my dad got a pair of binos manufactured in Japan and all of us children had a very low impression of Japanse products. Now, when I think of high quality I think Japan. Am sure China will.... and probably already does.... produce excellent products. Don

8 X 30 Yosemite

Placed an order for a pair thru Eagle Optics today (they only had a couple).
My heavier binos are wearing me out - so I look forward to trying these lighter weight ones. I suspect these will be a big success if they maintain good QC.

Lynn

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back