• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which North American Juvenile Buteo? (1 Viewer)

CurtMorgan

I saw this buteo on my property in Upstate New York today. Can you tell me which species it is and how you came to that conclusion?

Attachments

• Buteo1.jpg
    Buteo1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Buteo3.png
    Buteo3.png
    267.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Buteo2.png
    Buteo2.png
    278.1 KB · Views: 37
I would say Broad-Winged Hawk. The underbelly streaking is not confined to a belt shape, as with Red-Tailed Hawk, and I get the impression that the bird is a less bulky bird anyway. The banded tail is a good mark for Broad-Winged, as is the habitat, for they are most common in eastern forests.

Second, Broad-winged hawk
Prolific side streaking, and shorter wing to tail projection
The pics suggest behavior more consistent with Broad-wing, more accipiter like, than a soaring buteo

Do I remember from somewhere that the central throat stripe is diagnostic for Broad-winged? I can't put my hands on the reference.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back