• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

West Donegal (1 Viewer)

rdspalm

Was out for a walk at Derrybeg. Saw 9 Barnacle Geese at Port Arthur beach. The mudflats behind the beach at Maghergallon can be good for waders

Have not been birding in West Donegal for a few weeks now. Weather lousy and other things on at weekends. Hope to stay down for the weekend soon. Can't wait to get to Tory again, but will probably leave that until May when the Corncrake arrive.

If there are any regular birders in the Gweedore, Dungloe, Falcarragh areas please let us know what you are seeing.

Hi "rdspalm"

I was out birding between Dunfanaghy and Carrickfin yesterday. Highlights were...
Male and female Ring-necked Duck at New Lake. Drake is a new bird to that site. Both of the birds were paired together. Thats at least 6 birds in the county since the beginning of the year. I presume most of these birds are some of the six individuals I had at Lough Fern in November. The Barnacle Goose flock numbered around 300 including at least one Islay ringed bird XJV (another ringed bird seen in the distant) that has been at New Lake for 2 winters now in a row. 24 GWF Geese also there. Nothing around Horn Head, was hoping on the off chance for a Gyr Falcon!, area seems to have a few old records of them.
At the Falcarragh side of Ballyness Bay there was a flock of around 190 Brent Geese including 7 colour ringed birds of which I managed to read 5. A quick search of some of the nearby fields failed to produce any Barnacles though they had left their calling card all over some of the fields!
All quiet at Magheroarty, no sign of the Dark-bellied Brent.
On to Derrybeg, best was one cr Brent Goose. Have had American Golden Plover and Ruff here last Autumn, looks like a likely spot for more Yank waders especially with that flock of Ringed Plovers and Dunlin around the corner.
Nothing with the large gulls at Annagary. Single Iceland and Glaucous there a month back. Area around airport also quiet.

Dermot

11 Barnacle Geese and 15+ Oystercatcher at Magheragallon on Monday afternoon. The Barnacles are fairly tame. We got quite close before they flew.

Must get up to Ballyness Bay at Easter. Hope the Brent are still there.

Richard

Last edited:
Was up round Fanad on Wed 19th looking for chough which we did not get but we did get 3 Great northern divers coming into summer plumage, plus razorbill, black guillemot, guillemot, raven and fulmar.. Dipped on eagles at glenveagh but had a pair of ravens, a sparrowhawk and a blackcap in full song in the wood behind Glenveagh Castle. Mulroy Bay had Goldeneye and merganser, while there were two brent South of Rathmullan on Lough Swilly yesterday.

Sounds like an interesting trip Derek. We are for Donegal tomorrow. Hope to get up Glenveigh and also visit Ballyness Bay nr Falcarragh/Gortahork. Will try and get out to Tory in April, don't suppose there is much to see there at present.

Last year we had Grasshopper Warbler and Cuckoo at Bunbeg in May.

Richard

Magheragallon & Ballyness Bay

Stayed at Derrybeg over Easter. Plenty of Brent at Magheragallon, counted 42in one group and saw others smaller flocks too. Shelduck, Lapwing, Merganser. Also saw a Wheatear in the garden. Seems very early for Wheatear however the Collins Guide does say March. Also saw Chough and Raven in the dunes behind Magheragallon today.

Large numbers of Brent at Ballyness Bay both at the Magheroarty and Falcarragh sides.

Brent Geese at Magheragallon

Here are a couple of photos of Brent Geese at Magheragallon. Easter Weekend.

Richard

Attachments

• BrentMgallon-web.jpg
    BrentMgallon-web.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 208
  • Geese-web.jpg
    Geese-web.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 202
Hi Richard

Those were my first for the year. The first usually arrive in the country around Saint Patricks Day. I had my first Chiffchaff and Sandwich Tern just outside Letterkenny on Thursday also.

Dermot

Hi Dermot,
Well done with the Chiffchaff and Sandwich Tern, I must listen out for Chiffchaff, there is usually one up the road from me.

Have you ever seen the Cuckoo at Bunbeg? I must go looking over the next few weeks.

Richard

Can't recall seeing one out there but no reason why you shouldn't. They seem relatively widespread up here compared to other parts of the country.
I had a Swallow near Dunkineely yesterday. 20+ Icelands, 3 Glaucous and 1 Herring x Lesser Black-backed Gull at Killybegs. A few Eiders in the harbour also giving very good views. Herring by Glaucous hybrid at Annagary with around 400 Herring Gulls. I saw the very same bird at Killybegs earlier in the winter! There's a large collection of dump trucks out there which seems to be attracting the gulls. Not sure if there's an actual (illegal?) dump there also. Wheatears at Crohy Head and St. Johns Point (second-winter Iceland at latter site).

Dermot

Hi Dermot,
I think the dump is legal, there is a waste company called Sharkey Waste based in Annagry.

I did not get out at the weekend so the birding will have to wait until this Saturday.

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back