• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waders on South Padre Island TX (1 Viewer)

sirijay

Hello again,

Here are five photos all taken on South Padre Island TX in mid-April.
A fantastic site for birders, by the way.
Please help me identify. Thanks again.

Attachments

• Bird-1.jpg
    Bird-1.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 117
  • Bird-2.jpg
    Bird-2.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Bird-3.jpg
    Bird-3.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Bird-4.jpg
    Bird-4.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 129
  • Bird-5.jpg
    Bird-5.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 120
I vote for Lincoln's on #3 as well based on the extent of the fine streaking on the breast and grayish around the face.

#3 is an odd bird. Looks to have the head of a Song Sparrow and the body of a Lincoln's. Lincoln's should have a buffy eye-ring, and a pale bill with a largely straight culmen. This bird has no buffy or bright rufous tones on the head, no buffy eye-ring and a dark bill with a curved culmen. The body seems to match Lincolns though, with the exception of no buffy coloration on the breast. Seems like a hybrid candidate, though I'm not aware of any hybrids with Lincolns being confirmed.

Best,
Jim

I think I can see some buffy coloration on the breast. The lighting obscures it, but close to where the stripes fade out it goes from a creamy color to a shaded white.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back