• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FZ10 and ZOOM..... (1 Viewer)

advid

I want to 'upgrade' if that's the word, my old Olympus 2100uz.
The FZ10 looks ideal for my purposes (birds / wildlife etc)...

How would it compare with its 4 meg resolution to something like the 7 or 8 times zoom and 8 megapixel cameras that are now on the market ?

Would a crop from the centre of an 8 meg camera at 7 times zoom be equal to a full FZ10 pic at 12x zoom ???

I'd have thought a higher megapixel camera will need to have image stabilisation to be a realistic rival to the FZ10 for handheld tele photography pushed towards limits; more pixels won't compensate for camera shake. With a tele converter, the FZ-10's image stabilised 600mm to 700mm 35mm equivalent with 4MP is probably as good as it gets at the moment short of a DSLR with a very costly stabilised lens.
If you were wondering whether the higher megapixel cameras with shorter zooms give you more pixels for a small distant object, then this article (mentioned previously on Panasonic forum on dpreview) suggests a way that figures for pixel resolution and maximum focal length for a digicam can be combined to give a guide :
http://www.digicamhistory.com/Figure of Merit.html

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back