• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (3 Viewers)

Man things get crazy sometimes!!! ...am still plugging away though. Here's a few new ones - lots of ducks! The merganser isn't finished yet.

Attachments

• mallard drakes1sm.jpg
    mallard drakes1sm.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 93
  • misty morning mallardssm.jpg
    misty morning mallardssm.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Hooded Merganser.jpg
    Hooded Merganser.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 94
  • greenwings2.jpg
    greenwings2.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 90
good to see you again Peter, these are superb - I'm particularly fond of the last one, so much atmosphere and movement.

Y'see - there's me struggling away on a painting, and then Peter posts these. It all seems so effortless and so true to life. Wonderful work Peter - thanks for reminding us of your quality. Marvellous.

Whatdyamean that merg's not finished - looks fine to me! Had a stab at painting again but jeez I'm rusty - all too flat & stiff.

Anyway here's a few bits & bobs....only the rough golden eagle sketches are recent.

cheers,
Andrew

Attachments

• golden eagles_1.jpg
    golden eagles_1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 85
  • stellers_1.jpg
    stellers_1.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 76
  • yellow-rumped fly_1.jpg
    yellow-rumped fly_1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 73
Brilliant work Andrew - I love the chunkiness of your drawings. The flycatchere and sea eagle show both excellent attention to jizz and wonderful graphic qualities.
These recent goldie drawings are of the very highest calibre. Show some more!

I have painted just about all my life but sadly have no talent for painting birds. I love bright loose colours and bird paintings never seem to lend themselves to that. I also seem to lack the patience for all those feathers etc. I had a go when I was in my teens and the photo attached is the only example that I can find of something i did. Recently I have been inspired by the paintings I have seen here and wanted to give it a go but sadly I think I lack the talent. My photography has always given me results so much faster but I think maybe that is a cop out. What do you guys think?
Sorry I'm a year late picking up this thread, but I've just checked out your website and I don't think you need to paint at all - your gallery is stunning and inspiring. Not only are your photos technically superb, but you have such an eye for composition that each one is a work of art in it's own right.
Yours admiringly,
Clive

Last edited:
Peter , Andrew your work motivates and reminds me what I'm missing being
involved with Illustration work!
With no fieldwork for months! I decided to post here the whole process of building up an Illustration, from preliminaries to the final result.
This illustration,is familiar to the most of you from my Gallery but now you'll be able to see the whole work behind . It was an analysis of the ground display of the Calandra lark based on
my own video sequences. I hope you'll find it interesting...

Paschalis

Attachments

• Calandra-lark-display-preli.jpg
    Calandra-lark-display-preli.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Calandra-lark-display-sketc.jpg
    Calandra-lark-display-sketc.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Calandra-lark-display.jpg
    Calandra-lark-display.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Calandra-lark-display.jpg1.jpg
    Calandra-lark-display.jpg1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Calandra-lark-display.jpg3.jpg
    Calandra-lark-display.jpg3.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 64
Oh yes - now that's the way to do it!!!!
Thanks Paschalis for letting us in on one of your techniques - very enlightening indeed.

There's one thing for sure; by the time you've sketched that lot you certainly know your way around the bird! Wonderful.

Dave

Thank you all for your kind words!
This drawing was painted in Gouache Andrew, which is my main medium
doing illustrations, among with Aquarell Water colours and Acrylics.

Paschalis

Wow! That is so interesting, to really see, how a picture like that is created! And the end result is just stunning!

Elina

Au secours mon Robert* Paschalis! Excellent stuff

A couple of recent painting attempts - following a trip to Washington state attached.

Cheers,
Andrew

PS *Nick can translate into a well known Scottish phrase and correct my duff spelling

Attachments

• horned lark_1.jpg
    horned lark_1.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 69
  • b-f albatross_1.jpg
    b-f albatross_1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 80
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back