• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 300mm f2.8 + 1.4x auto focus speed? (1 Viewer)

CCRII

Would this be as fast if not faster then my current canon 100-400 Ef IS USM zoom? I love the price of this lens and the fact that this would get me to f4 instead of f5.6.

I used this lens's big brother (the 500 f4.5), Af was very fast even with a 1.4x tc, much faster than my 100-400 IS. I've had a look at the 300 f2.8 and it seemed to focus just as quickly, it's a cracking lens, I quite fancy one myself!

I used this lens's big brother (the 500 f4.5), Af was very fast even with a 1.4x tc, much faster than my 100-400 IS. I've had a look at the 300 f2.8 and it seemed to focus just as quickly, it's a cracking lens, I quite fancy one myself!

I really like the price point! Thinking about selling my 100-400 and upgrading.

Would this be as fast if not faster then my current canon 100-400 Ef IS USM zoom? I love the price of this lens and the fact that this would get me to f4 instead of f5.6.
Most primes tend to AF faster than a zoom.
Not sure what you mean by really liking the price point of the 300mm f2.8 - it is three times the price of the 100-400.

Not sure what you mean by really liking the price point of the 300mm f2.8 - it is three times the price of the 100-400.

but very attractive compared to the Canon 300 f2.8 IS

Well I can get it for $2500 here in the states. Which makes it only $1100 more. But I would get the 1.4 tc which would add another $150. This would get me to f 4 instead of 5.6 (2 stops down) and get me a little more reach, also should be sharper since it is a prime while still being hand holdable for walkabouts. Maybe this is not the best way to go. If you have a better suggestion I am all ears though.

Well I can get it for $2500 here in the states. Which makes it only $1100 more. But I would get the 1.4 tc which would add another $150. This would get me to f 4 instead of 5.6 (2 stops down) and get me a little more reach, also should be sharper since it is a prime while still being hand holdable for walkabouts. Maybe this is not the best way to go. If you have a better suggestion I am all ears though.

I wouldn't assume that a lens will be sharper than your 100-400 just because it is a prime. The Sigma 300 f2.8 is a very nice lens but at over 2.2kg it is not as easy a walkabout lens as the 100-400 and at ~ twice the weight and without IS it may well not be as easy to use handheld. Also f4 is only one stop faster than f5.6...

Please read my previous post - I thought you were refering to the Canon 300mm f2.8.

I wouldn't assume that a lens will be sharper than your 100-400 just because it is a prime. The Sigma 300 f2.8 is a very nice lens but at over 2.2kg it is not as easy a walkabout lens as the 100-400 and at ~ twice the weight and without IS it may well not be as easy to use handheld. Also f4 is only one stop faster than f5.6...

I thought it went like this f4, 4.5, 5.6.

Thanks.

I thought it went like this f4, 4.5, 5.6.

Thanks.

I think I'm right in saying that full stops go in the sequence:

f1 f1.4 f2 f2.8 f4 f5.6 f8 f11 f16 f22 and onwards

other commonly seen figures such as f1.8, f4.5 and f6.3 are based on 1/3 of a stop increments.

Adding a 1.4x tc to a lens will increase it by one full stop, so an f2.8 lens will become an f4 or an f4.5 will become an f6.3. Using a 2x tc will cost you two stops so an f2.8 becomes an f5.6 and an f4.5 become an f9. I hope that helps!

I think I'm right in saying that full stops go in the sequence:

f1 f1.4 f2 f2.8 f4 f5.6 f8 f11 f16 f22 and onwards

other commonly seen figures such as f1.8, f4.5 and f6.3 are based on 1/3 of a stop increments.

Adding a 1.4x tc to a lens will increase it by one full stop, so an f2.8 lens will become an f4 or an f4.5 will become an f6.3. Using a 2x tc will cost you two stops so an f2.8 becomes an f5.6 and an f4.5 become an f9. I hope that helps!

Very much! Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back