• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (4 Viewers)

I'm sorry. Yes I thought your name is Jasper... Now I just have to remember this. |>|
No worries, I'll answer to Jasper....I've been called much worse in the past I'm sure ;)

Thaw is in full swing here at last. Warm enough to sit outside with a cuppa, enabling me to hear and see some spring arrivals,
24. Eastern Pheobe.
25. Red-winged Blackbird. They've been about a while, but high flyovers so
being outside helps.
26. Winter wren (heard. FOY for me).
27. Yellow-bellied sapsucker (FOY again).
28. Great Blue Heron

Five new ones in a day, don't think I've had that good a day since January 1st when everything was new!

Good numbers of spring passerine migrants at the moment across the Algarve while the winds are in the east - at home I don't see many spring migrants (plenty in the autumn though ;)) so nice to see a nice male:

56. Woodchat Shrike

They breed some 500m away or so but this bird on an Almond tree in this rather built up and gardenised area was surely a migrant. Also a male Western Subalpine Warbler has been hanging on in the bushes for 3 days now (another bird than one about 2 weeks ago).

Last edited:
Spent most of today outside on the back deck, supervising boiling maple sap into syrup. Turned out to be a great day to be outside, we hit 24C, felt positively tropical.

29. Sharp-shinned Hawk
30. Common Grackle
31. Golden-crowned Kinglet
32. Ring-billed Gull
33. Song Sparrow (heard)
and 34. Sandhill Crane!!! A most unexpected flyover. Very pleased to have been out at the right time.

Wow! Amy (I remembered), the summer comes there really fast! :eek!: Here has been a few days 10 C degrees, at the best.

#26. Great Cormorant - one flyover
#27. Common Raven - also one flyover (and cronking*)
#28. Fieldfare - "Singing" at the mornings everywhere
#29. Starling - 3 birds on neightbours antenna

*I'm not sure this is proper English word. |>|

Despite straining the ears for a chiffchaff across the park with no luck finally something to add and beleive it or not a garden "lifer" to boot.
32 bullfinch
a cracking male sitting in next door neighbours tree.

A bit of perseverance with the scope from the terrace trained at distance up the hill and a Thekla Lark in song flight. It was singing right where I know they breed and I've never seen a Crested so I'm counting it ;)

57. Thekla Lark

Also nice to see 2 older Shags on the sea - last summer there was a juvenile or possibly two, that settled. If they become a breeding pair they will be the easternmost pair in the Algarve AFAIK.

Last edited:
A bit of perseverance with the scope from the terrace trained at distance up the hill and a Thekla Lark in song flight. It was singing right where I know they breed and I've never seen a Crested so I'm counting it ;)

57. Thekla Lark

Glad to see you're adopting the high standards we maintain on the Garden list thread Simon 😏
(As bad as my Alpine Chough specks in the distance from our terrace!)

Picked up bird bounding toward window....thinking Hawfinch....Hurrah!...until it bounced over the top of the roof...I'd strung!....'twas a Lesser spot!!!! no.61. :-O

That's a real wow of a bird, Ken!

Dawn this morning I could hear an owl calling - but too distant to distinguish if a possible Little Owl, or Tawny.

Little Owl is overdue to be singing in the valley - wonder if they're still there.

That's a real wow of a bird, Ken!

Dawn this morning I could hear an owl calling - but too distant to distinguish if a possible Little Owl, or Tawny.

Little Owl is overdue to be singing in the valley - wonder if they're still there.

First one I've seen H!....since 26th Jan'16...and that was in the woods outback, albeit that I hunted daily throughout the Winter months without success.
Tawny Owl seems to be a permanent fixture in the garden of late, calling intermittently morning and afternoon, he's a typical male....full of hoot and no show. :-O

Willow Warbler singing within earshot of the garden this morning - less than annual here now (didn't get one from the garden last year)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back