• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (23 Viewers)

I have seen at least 4 Bitterns fly off high from Strumpshaw this week in search of pastures new so this could be a good time to get that patch tick, as has already occurred. 2 headed high South and 1 headed West on Monday morning and 1 was circling high on Tuesday, they need the thaw sooner rather than later!

Titchwell December 23rd

Today's highlights

Northern harrier - immature male east over reedbed @ 09:00
Pale-bellied brent goose - 3 with brent flock on grazing marsh
Whooper swan - 1 in field by access road
Water pipit - 2 on fresh marsh, 1 on brackish marsh
Snow bunting - male on beach
Bittern - 1 in flight over reedbed
Short-eared owl - 1 hunting over saltmarsh
Hybrid gull sp - 1st winter resembling glaucous gull on fresh marsh late morning before flying towards Thornham harbour. Different bird to yesterday afternoon.

Merry Christmas and a Happy (bird-filled) New Year from all the team at Titchwell

Paul

I have seen at least 4 Bitterns fly off high from Strumpshaw this week in search of pastures new so this could be a good time to get that patch tick, as has already occurred. 2 headed high South and 1 headed West on Monday morning and 1 was circling high on Tuesday, they need the thaw sooner rather than later!

Interesting, is anyone recording their movements? I'd Imagine it would be useful to monitor where they go in harsh winters, particularly if we are likely to get more in the future. :cat: As you can probably see from the photos, the one I saw wasn't ringed.

Interesting, is anyone recording their movements? I'd Imagine it would be useful to monitor where they go in harsh winters, particularly if we are likely to get more in the future. :cat: As you can probably see from the photos, the one I saw wasn't ringed.

One was 'pagered' in the last few days from Lyngate which is near Worstead, at the southern end of the North Walsham bypass (A149). There were no details given but there is a small wet copse close to the road and, just away from the A149 and in the hamlet, is a more open pond. This area is close to the River Ant too, which would make an ideal regular wintering site...

James

The Lesser Whitefront was showing well this morning before being flushed. Also on site was a flyover Yellowhammer and Bittern flew into the fleet pool, patch ticks. Yesterday had a Bittern at Surlingham Church Marsh which doesn't happen too frequently despite its proximity to Strumpshaw.
As discussed above Bitterns are moving about a fair bit but I'm not sure anyone is officially logging them (apart from on this thread).

Happy Christmas everyone

Having kept my eyes peeled for several weeks, i finally got lucky with seven Waxwing at Ashill. A nice early xmas pressie for the self found list.

Brush with fate

The photo was taken near to the sign for Blakeney Freshes; perhaps it should be renamed Blakeney Freshly-dead.

Gramboro’ had nowt.

A foray to Wells produced a couple of Woodcocks (flushed), the flock of 6+ Bullfinches (mainly keeping low to the ground) and a lovely couple from Yorkshire, with whom reminiscences were made about, amongst other things, grosbeaks. Here's hoping.

It was only after I’d left that the messages came on about the Tootler and some Shorelarks: curses !

Attachments

• 003sm.jpg
    003sm.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 235
Christmas is coming but the LWFG is not getting fat

The Lesser Whitefront was showing well this morning before being flushed.
Happy Christmas everyone

Seasons greetings from me too.

Eventually saw the lesser white-fronted goose today. Was with five taiga beans and not the rest of the flock. This helps the credentials of a wild bird, I suggest. Remarkably small goose in flight, so doubt it could be a hybrid with a large species.

Not my first Yare Valley lesser white-fronted goose but more likely to be wild than others seen over the years.

Don't expect any more new birds this year. Happy to finish a great year with the rare goose.

Not planning to go too far after the weekend. A few more goodies around Norwich will do. Do not expect to find things as good as what Kat found!:cat:B :)

Lesser White-Fronted Goose flew in just after 2pm at Buckenham/Cantley today, remaining at the back near the railway line with the Taigas where we left it after 3pm. It was previously last seen at around 9am when it flew over from the fields to the other side of the railway, so it was a long wait...

Also present; Common Buzzard, 2 Cetti's Warblers, 2 Marsh Harriers, 90 White-Fronted Geese, 7 Pinkfeet and 107 Taiga Bean Geese.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back