• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (2 Viewers)

What do local birders think of the plans for a cruiser port and marina just east of Nimmo's Pier? I saw the plans in the window of a building just off the Galway Dock the other day. It looks as if the third phase will bring work very close to the end of Nimmo's Pier.

Despite the wet and stormy weather I saw quite a few good birds when I was in Galway (12th to 17th), including a ring-billed gull on the 13th and 14th and a great northern diver just off the end of Nimmo's Pier on the 16th. Does the ring-billed gull need a description for an Irish rarities committee?

Allen

Hi Allen

Ring-billed Gull hasn't been a description bird for a long time now in Ireland. Nimmo's Pier isn't a patch on what it once was unfortunately.

The new port will be a colossal build which will run straight out into Galway Bay for at least one kilometre! See attached.

Attachments

• stage4-1.jpg
    stage4-1.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 122
Hi Allen

Ring-billed Gull hasn't been a description bird for a long time now in Ireland. Nimmo's Pier isn't a patch on what it once was unfortunately.

The new port will be a colossal build which will run straight out into Galway Bay for at least one kilometre! See attached.

Thanks, Dermot,

I was curious about what the local ornithological opinion was. A barman in the city told me that the scheme was a "no brainer", the "growth" mentality, I suppose. I couldn't help thinking that next there will be plans for wider roads through the Burren to take all those extra visitors to see the sights. Cheerful feller, aren't I?

Yes, I found fewer birds at Nimmo's Pier than when I visited in October 2014. I wondered if it was just because the river was in flood because of all that rain (has it stopped yet?). For example, I only saw 10-12 Mute Swans compared with 77 in October 2014, or do they go up into Lough Corrib for November? There were more birds of a bigger range of species on the shoreline to Mutton Island causeway and just beyond. I didn't get beyond that!

BTW, what you say saves me a job writing a Ring-billed Gull description!

Allen

Hi Allen

I had nine Ring-bills together on the main slipway back in 1999. Also had a few days with 12 gull species there on occasion but not for several years now. The swan numbers have generally decreased in recent years also but they do move around between different sites such as Lough Corrib.
The new harbour will be extending in Galway Bay which is a Special Area of Conservation but the plan is to apply to the EU for an "IROPI" - Imperative Reasons of Overriding Public Interest derogation under the Habitats Directive which allows development in protected areas if it's for the greater good of people. This would be the first time that such an exemption would given in Ireland if granted. Anything that promises more jobs is always going to be seen as a positive thing with the majority of the population.
We had an airstrip built near Cleggan and another on Inishbofin about 8 or 9 years ago at the cost of a few million. We were told that tourists would be lining up to fly into Connemara and Inishbofin (btw Galway CITY airport has closed in recent years as it was financially unviable). Both airstrips have never had a single airplane land on either one as they ran out of money to finish them off although both of the runways are complete. Go figure!

Dermot,

So it is not just Spain that has ghost airports?

Seriously, though, I hope that the application to the EU for an "IROPI" is rejected, not just for Galway Bay (and with all those who believe it will help the local economy - belief's a great thing!) but because it will set yet another precedent. That's made my night!

Allen

Dermot,

I hope that the application to the EU for an "IROPI" is rejected, not just for Galway Bay (and with all those who believe it will help the local economy - belief's a great thing!) but because it will set yet another precedent.

Allen

Dermot and fellow Galway birders,

What happened over the "IROPI"? Is the scheme going ahead? I have not been to Ireland for more than 7 months, so it is time to think about another trip!

Allen

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back