• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Outback (2003 XII) (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
Took another walk out this evening, which was considerably fresher, breezier and brighter than yesterday.

We followed what has become the “traditional” route, and everything was as enjoyable as usual.

In birding terms, it was a little noisier and more active than yesterday, although ultimately we saw or heard fewer species. The surprise of the evening was a new bird for the outback to round off the walk.

House Martins were relatively abundant once again, with a number of flocks of 30ish birds, perhaps we saw 100 individuals in total (or perhaps the same few followed us round!). The Magpies, often noisy, were on the move. We saw half a dozen by the end of proceedings. And as we were walking alongside the housing estate, a Grey Heron took off from the pond and flew on elsewhere.

A Moorhen was on the pond, but no sign of Coot or Mallard this evening… probably hidden in the overgrowth.

The customary Woodpigeons were flying around, and we saw two or three, and heard maybe as many more.

As we approached the hotel ground, a dark plumaged juvenile gull flew over. Regular readers will know I don’t do adults very well, so I had no chance with this… although it looked “large” and had a herring-gull-type bill.

As we continued along the eastern edge, we saw three Carrion Crows, and heard a Wren.

Further along we heard the first of the evening’s squawks and hoos. I reckon someone who really knows their owls would be in their element. They do seem to be very plentiful, but very well-hidden!

Returning home, we saw the first two of, eventually, eleven ducks – presumably all leaving the pond. The first two were Mallards; I suspect the other nine were too.

And then, as we reached the pond again, and with its tail raised looking for all the world like plastic bag, came the new bird. Nothing spectacular, simply a Greylag Goose – but the first definitely ided Greylag since I started my walks.

I think that takes me up to 47, but it’s been a while since I added anything, so I could be 1 or 2 wrong… but I’ll check it out soon enough.

Birdlist as follows (* = heard only)

Carrion Crow
Grey Heron
Greylag Goose
House Martin
Magpie
Mallard
Moorhen
Woodpigeon
Wren *
Unided Gull
Unided Owls *

Birdman I have trouble Identifying Gulls,certain waders, Warblers and many more besides. But it's the pleasure you get from birding that counts . Thanks for your interesting reads.

Thanks for your kind words, John.

I agree entirely with your comment... and would certainly add Birds of Prey!!!

Nice walk then? Evening strolls are one of the best pleasures in life. Hope you improve enough to identify the hoots, etc..

I saw something unusual for my garden, a flock of five Canadas flew over.

again birdman, a nice walk and report, I must admit the only
gull I can I.D. with any confidence is the blackheaded, adult &
juv. a very good book is gulls a guide to I. D. by P. J. Grant.
look forward to more of your walks.
bert

Y'know, Dave, when I go to a new country to bird, I rush around like mad, trying to see as many birds as I can in as large an area as I can, in as short a time as I can. But when I finally get to England, I'd like to start by taking a long walk in your Outback with you...

Thanks gents!

Andrew, identifying owl hoots will just be another of the (semmingly endless) skills I will have to try to master!

bert... you and me both!

Charles... you're on!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back