• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zosteropidae (1 Viewer)

Peter Kovalik

Slovakia
MELO, M., WARREN, B. H. and JONES, P. J. (2011), Rapid parallel evolution of aberrant traits in the diversification of the Gulf of Guinea white-eyes (Aves, Zosteropidae). Molecular Ecology, 20: no. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-294X.2011.05099.x

Abstract

Hi Peter,

Did you read the full paper?

I'm looking forward for a genetic study that will compare São Tomé & Príncipe White-eyes that are looking very different in the field with different voice. I'm almost sure they should be splitted and even not group in the same super-species.

Cheers

Hi Peter,

Did you read the full paper?

I'm looking forward for a genetic study that will compare São Tomé & Príncipe White-eyes that are looking very different in the field with different voice. I'm almost sure they should be splitted and even not group in the same super-species.

Cheers

Valéry

see Boyd's webpage
or send me via private message your email address

Is Zosterops semiflavus is generally accepted as full species again or is Mr. John Boyd the only expert who treat this bird as full species?

also, under the taxonomic update tab, all of the Speirops have been synomized with Zosterops, although they keep there common names

Ponce-Reyes, R., Clegg, S. M., Carvalho, S. B., McDonald-Madden, E., Possingham, H. P. (2014), Geographical surrogates of genetic variation for selecting island populations for conservation. Diversity and Distributions. doi: 10.1111/ddi.12195

[Abstract]
[Supporting Information]

Last edited:
Husemann, M., Ulrich, W., Habel, J.C. (submitted) The effects of geographic isolation and sympatry on acoustic traits of two bird species (Aves, Zosteropidae). BMC Evolutionary Biology

Habel JC, Mulwa R, Cox S, Gassert F, Engler JO, Rödder D, Eggermont H, Husemann M, Lens L. (submitted) Evolution on East African sky-islands: The biogeography of Zosterops poliogaster (Aves, Zosteropidae).

J C Habel, R K Mulwa, F Gassert, D Rödder, W Ulrich, L Borghesio, M Husemann and L Lens. Population signatures of large-scale, long-term disjunction and small-scale, short-term habitat fragmentation in an Afromontane forest bird. Heredity , (9 April 2014) | doi:10.1038/hdy.2014.15.
[Abstract]

TiF Update June 21

Based on Cox et al., (2014), I've returned the Kenya White-eye, Zosterops flavilateralis to Abyssinian White-eye (Z. abyssinicus), but split the Socotra White-eye (Z. socotranus) from Abyssinian White-eye. Further, I've also split Kivu White-eye (Z. reichenowi) from African Yellow White-eye (Zosterops senegalensis). I've changed the English name of Zosterops stierlingi to Southern Yellow White-eye to reflect hypothesized species limits, which rather speculatively include the senegalensis races kasaicus, heinrichi, quanzae, anderssoni, and tongensis. This means that the African Yellow White-eye, Zosterops senegalensis, is assumed to include demeryi, gerhardi, toroensis, stuhlmanni. Cox et al. found that jacksoni groups with senegalensis. Finally, The Montane White-eye, Zosterops poliogastrus is assumed to include kaffensis and kulalensis (although I have doubts about the latter). I take no position on eurycricotus.

Socotra White-eye

TiF Update June 21
Based on Cox et al., (2014), I've ... split the Socotra White-eye (Z. socotranus) from Abyssinian White-eye.
Cox, S.C., R.P. Prys-Jones, J.C. Habel, B.A. Amakobe, and J.J. Day (2014), Niche divergence promotes rapid diversification of East African sky island white-eyes (Aves: Zosteropidae), Mol. Biol. Evol. (forthcoming).

Contra Kirwan 2007 (Studies of Socotran birds IV. Synonymization of six endemic bird taxa...).

Last edited:
Cox, S.C., R.P. Prys-Jones, J.C. Habel, B.A. Amakobe, and J.J. Day (2014), Niche divergence promotes rapid diversification of East African sky island white-eyes (Aves: Zosteropidae), [I]Mol. Biol. Evol[/I]. (forthcoming).

Contra Kirwan 2007 (Studies of Socotran birds IV. Synonymization of six endemic bird taxa...).

Richard, it seems John mixed up journals - Cox, S.C., R.P. Prys-Jones, J.C. Habel, B.A. Amakobe, and J.J. Day (2014), Niche divergence promotes rapid diversification of East African sky island white-eyes (Aves: Zosteropidae), Molecular Ecology.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back