• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

June 3, Quito, Ecuador birds, Part IX (hummingbirds) (1 Viewer)

howiewu

Hi,

Continuing ...

Our guide took us to a hummingbird sanctuary (all birds are free; they just put up feeders) near the town of Nanegalito northwest of Quito, Ecuador.

I am very unfamiliar with South American hummingbirds; I will post my thoughts later. Meanwhile, if anyone can give me ID help, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,
Howard

Attachments

• hummingbird1 (2).jpg
    hummingbird1 (2).jpg
    97 KB · Views: 7
  • hummingbird2.jpg
    hummingbird2.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 5
  • hummingbird3.jpg
    hummingbird3.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 8
  • hummingbird4.jpg
    hummingbird4.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 9
  • hummingbird5.jpg
    hummingbird5.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 8
In order: m fawn-breasted brilliant, m then f violet-tailed sylph, purple-bibbed whitetip, buff-tailed coronet

I agree with THE_FERN's ids, although I'm wondering wehther the second Sylph might be a young male - I would expect a female to be rather paler just below the throat and show more orange on the breast (including the sides).

Andrea

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back