• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

B Lagopus's New Avatar... (1 Viewer)

Thanks Alex, I'm glad you're enjoying them!

David, Ethan, and James were all partially correct, the full answer was Calcarius lapponicus subcalcaratus. Gentoo was correct yesterday. For this evening, another easy one, though it might be fun to put a truly "tricksy" avatar in every now and then... B :)

Wow !....I am a little disappointed in you guys ! His avitar has to be (bombycilla garrulus) ! Damn!.. guys - do your homework.

ssp. pallidiceps (honestly, I'm only going off your location, B Lag - which brings me to an interesting question... what are the differences between N. American, European, and Siberian B. garrulus?).

overworkedirish said:
Gorgeous Surnia ulula, but once again, subspecies differenciation? Anyone?

Yes, it is Surnia ulula caparoch, i.e. the North American subspecies of Northern Hawk Owl. However, the photo does perhaps look better for Surnia ulula ulula, the nominate Eurasian subspecies, which is paler than caparoch.

I will confess to quite blatantly editing my photos for artistic effect... :eek!:

overworkedirish said:
*gasp* Could it be?? A B. Lag itself? ;)

To anyone, like me, coming in to this thread in the middle it does not make much sense!
Anyway, Buteo lagopus it is. Buzzard to 'us', Hawk to 'you'.

Steve

Steve Lister said:
To anyone, like me, coming in to this thread in the middle it does not make much sense!
Anyway, Buteo lagopus it is. Buzzard to 'us', Hawk to 'you'.

Steve

Amazingly, the new 'official' IOC English name is 'Roughleg'
:eek!: :eek!: :eek!:

I guess that gets round the problem.

Docmartin said:
I guess that gets round the problem.

No, it just means I will pay no attention to the IOC names.

'Roughleg' is little better than 'Gropper', 'Rockit' and so on. Useless.

Steve

overworkedirish said:
*gasp* Could it be?? A B. Lag itself? ;)

:eek!:

Um, no comment.

I know the photo doesn't look so good, but you know what they say about the camera adding ten pounds. I'm actually quite fierce looking in "person." Particularly if you happen to be a vole... B :)

Sorry for the confusion, Steve! Alex and you are of course each correct.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back