• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Teleconverters (1 Viewer)

Dave Smith

United Kingdom
I am looking for a system where I may be able to take bird photos when I haven't got my scope with me, for example on holiday. I previously considered digibinning but that doesn't look promising.

Has anyone tried the Nikon teleconverters, in particular the 3x version. It is quite expensive (£217) and would like to hear some views before spending.

Many thanks
Dave

Hi all

While I am reading the posts I leave that window open and then open the gallery in a new window, (right click on gallery, then "Open in new window") this way you loose the right had navigation bar and the URL to whichever page you open appears in the Address bar at the top, which I then copy, and past into the post.

I have to say I haven’t used a tripod with the tele-converter at all, but for best results, its probably not a bad idea, I have just been lucky enough that there has been enough light available to use a high shutter speed freezing the movement of the bird and me.
I would usually try to brace myself in some way though, or hold the camera with both hands.

ATB

Rich

Last edited:
Dave, I use the Nikon 2X Tele Converter lens, the TC-E2, with my Nikon CoolPix 4300. It takes great pics but the lens is about 2+ inches in diameter and it obscures a big part of the view seen through the viewfinder. I've learned to work with the limited viewfinder cause it isn't always possible to see the picture in the monitor. The 4300 has just 3X Optical Zoom so I almost always shoot with the 2X lens on to give me 6X OZ. I paid $149 at a local camera shop for it.

Thanks Marysan. I hadn't realised they were quite that big, although that isn't a problem.

I have just ordered one on Ebay and have saved £50, thanks to all for the replies.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back