• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod (7D+Canon 300F2.8+2x TC) (1 Viewer)

canonman77

United Kingdom
Hi, Ive been thinking more & more about getting a tripod for the above setup + a Lensmaster Gimbal head, Tripods are totally new to me & I dont really know which tripod will do for me, I dont want to pay a lot for one, perhaps around £100-£150 or around that mark. If anyone uses this setup & uses a tripod, I would really appreciate It It you could tell me which one It Is or any help would be appreciate all the same.

Regards.
Sean.

I use a Manfrotto 055 DB tripod and an Indian Gimbal for my long lenses. The tripod is quite sturdy and should be in your price range.

Second the 055 suggestion above, not the lightest tripod in the world, but well built and stable, also handy that all parts are available as spares so its pretty future proof too.

Not sure how old my 055CB is, probably fifteen years and still going strong, no doubt other makes are very good too, but can only recommend from personal experience.

Used to use a 400 F2.8 off a Manfrotto 55XB Pro + Manfrotto 393 head, for the price it was great! However I suggest you have a look at the used market, a few weeks ago I picked up a Gitzo G1329 Mk2 Carbon Systematic with a center column included. It a touch heavier with the center column, but lighter without - but it is SO much more rigid and dampens vibration FAR better it's simply in a different league. I know everyone is now going to say it's out of your price range, well they would be wrong! It came in at exactly the bottom of your budget - a nice big carbon Gitzo for £100. There are bargains out there, you may just have to wait a bit to find the right one.

Having upgraded from a Manfrotto 055 proB to a Feisol 3372 Carbon Fiber Tripod the difference was enormous as John as indicated above. The Feisol is lighter but a lot more rigid and dampens to vibes far better - a different league really but then again it should be for the price difference. Having said that the Cheaper Manfrotto's will hold the weight of your gear no problem and will be a big step-up from hand holding, especially when you have the 2x tc on board.

cheers guys, i think it might be the Manfrotto 055xprob, but its not decided yet. Im gonna wait until ive been to scotland..

sean.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back