• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diopters (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
This may sound plain dumb but am I correct in assuming that the diopter on a camera is only for how you see what is through the viewfinder and not what the camera sees? Or am I wrong?
I ask this because I am having a hard time with the diopter on my nikon and it doesn't seem like I can get a clear view thru the view finder.

You're right. As far as I'm aware it just refers to the optical viewfinder. It's adjustable of most decent cameras so you should be able to adjust it to your own prescription if you wear glasses / contact lenses.

By adjusting it, you should be able to see the subject clearly through the viewfinder.

The Nikon 4500 has a little knurled nut under the body near the viewfinder with which to adjust the diopter.

Thanks Ian. My diopter is a tiny little inset wheel which is not the easiest to adjust. Half the time I'm not sure it is moving or if it is my finger sliding over the wheel. I'll play with it some more.

KC
what you see through the view finder is only about 80% of what you will get on your photo with the digital screen its about 96% if like me you have to use glasses to see the screen then i can recomend the extend -a-view which fits over the lcd screen this has a 2x magnification built in and is very easy to look through just like a scope they sell them in America about $30 IanF can tell you where to get one

I wholeharrtedly agree and concur. My Extend-a-view came this morning, and it is wonderful - I can use my CP4500 just like a normal SLR, even with glasses ! To anyone wondering whether it is worth it - YES !!! Unless of course you prefer to have to erase most of your pix ... :)

Tony

Thank you both for your thoughts here. I just found the extend a view at photosolve and it looked quite reasonable. Was it easy enough to attach? I believe I will order it tonight. Thanks again.

In itself it was very easy to attach, but with my customary flair for complicating a simple task, I cut one piece of velcro to fit, and promptly lost it (it's probably stuck somewhere I'll never find it), so had to do a bodge job - which still works perfectly.

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back