• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coolpix P series? (1 Viewer)

ray2758 said:
Not much different, if must to pick the better, I take P4.

I know I know.You're right.I suppose they aren't so different now I look at them again.

One thing though-most of the 4200 shots were of ok quality and most of the P4 were soft and blurry.

I think I expected the P4 to be better because it's 3 "generations" later than the 4200 and has double the megapixels it should be better.

I'll persevere with it anyway.

stuprice68 said:
I know I know.You're right.I suppose they aren't so different now I look at them again.

One thing though-most of the 4200 shots were of ok quality and most of the P4 were soft and blurry.

I think I expected the P4 to be better because it's 3 "generations" later than the 4200 and has double the megapixels it should be better.

I'll persevere with it anyway.

I don't have other Nikon to compare with my P4. I got soften photos when initially used it, later when I used the magnifier Avan taught under this topic. I got most of the pictures sharper, what I discovered there was still a little more range to focus when observing the object throught the magnifier.

ray2758 said:
I don't have other Nikon to compare with my P4. I got soften photos when initially used it, later when I used the magnifier Avan taught under this topic. I got most of the pictures sharper, what I discovered there was still a little more range to focus when observing the object throught the magnifier.

I might try the magnifier too.

Yet another thing to buy! Where will it end?

Some photos taken today at Hong Kong's wetland park.

Nikon ED82 Fieldscope + Nikon Coolpix P4

Attachments

• wet_land1.jpg
    wet_land1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 160
  • wet_land4.jpg
    wet_land4.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 160
  • wet_land7.jpg
    wet_land7.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 152
  • wet_land5.jpg
    wet_land5.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 142
  • wet_land11.jpg
    wet_land11.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
ees101 said:
I have been using cameras like the Coolpix 990 and now a 4500 since "the beginning of digiscoping time" and I am looking for a potential "upgrade" with fasting shooting, larger LCD, and at least similar digiscoping abilities using a Swarovski 80mm 20-60x HD scope.

I haven't been able to find anything yet on th Coolpix P-series cameras. Does anyone have any initial thoughts regarding their compatability.

The NEW Coolpix P4 is very enticing with 8MP, Image Stabilization, 11-point AF. (I dislike not having Shutter Priority which at times I liked to set so I could underexpose at 1/60th if low light - Are there other downfalls to this camera?)
ISO settings? I can't find this anywhere.

Other suggestions are welcome as well (eg. Canon's, ect.), but I really want to know about experiences with any of the newest models.

Eric Secker

Rec'd a Nikon P4 today and took it out around noon. Was very windy so there was some tri pod shake but managed some good results. (I do need a better tri pod)

I use a swaro 80HD ATS with the DCB. There was no vignetteing at full optical zoom. There was some at no camera zoom but I did not play around much with the base position from my last camera so I imagine that can improve as well.

The results were best when used with the 3 second timer (less shake). I am trying to figure out how to leave the camera on timer mode as opposed to choosing it for each shot. I also need to figure out how to make sure the camera focus is centered. It seems very good at picking up images anywhere in the field of view and focused in on secondary images in the FOV several times.

It would seem that the camera has a very sensitive focus and has what I would call planes of focus that are very close together. It easily focuses at the plane just infront or just behind the image. I think this will be overcome by practice.

I used no vibration reduction. I am still working on the best settings for digiscoping for me. So I imagine the quality will only get better. I was too excited to read any of the manuals. Will sit down and read them now.

I have read alot about the softness of the images and I feel this can be partly due to the sensitivity of the focus and the fact that the camera does zoom in to 3.5x and the increase over the 3x I am used to, increases the degee of shake / image softness. I will back off the focus on my next trips out and compare.

My thanks to all who have posted on this camera. I am happy with it and look forward to some great pictures down the road. I am also excited about the macro settings that showed such good results in other posts on this camera.

Gauze

Attachments

• DSCN0132a_1_1_1.jpg
    DSCN0132a_1_1_1.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN0146_1_1.JPG
    DSCN0146_1_1.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN0158_1_8_1.JPG
    DSCN0158_1_8_1.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCN0119_1_1.JPG
    DSCN0119_1_1.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 155
Is there a remote shutter release for the P4?

I have a friend considering the P4 but he can't find out if you can get a remote shutter release for it - the Nikon website doesn't mention one. Does anyone know if one is available? Thank you for your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back