• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P5000 (1 Viewer)

Nope I'm using the 30xWA eyepiece as I couldn't zoom out the vignetting on the 20-60x. I gave the 20-60x a go the other day but binned the photos as even when zooming to reduce vignetting the shadow is still visible as well as it affecting exposure.

With the 30x you get negligible vignetting at zero camera zoom but it goes altogether at around 1/3 camera zoom - basically one zoom activation - though it's not as smooth as the CP4500. Zoom needs to exceed the macro setting for vignetting to disappear.

I'm using the Swaro ATS80HD - other scope brands with wider eyepieces would have less problems.

Nope I'm using the 30xWA eyepiece as I couldn't zoom out the vignetting on the 20-60x. I gave the 20-60x a go the other day but binned the photos as even when zooming to reduce vignetting the shadow is still visible as well as it affecting exposure.

With the 30x you get negligible vignetting at zero camera zoom but it goes altogether at around 1/3 camera zoom - basically one zoom activation - though it's not as smooth as the CP4500. Zoom needs to exceed the macro setting for vignetting to disappear.

I'm using the Swaro ATS80HD - other scope brands with wider eyepieces would have less problems.

Thanks for that Ian, appreciate the info,

Paul

Hi Ian

Thanks for that, you are using the zoom right? how many actual clicks of the optical zoom on the camera do you have to use before you have an unvignetted screen/pic?

Is any other user on this thread using a fixed eyepeice? if so, could i ask you the same question please?

Thanks

Paul

Nikon ED82 with 30xDS eyepiece, no vignetting at all, a great camera, have not had much time to use it, but pleased with results so far.
For instance look at the pictures of the two hours I had at Pennington (Lymington) on Tuesday
http://lynandmholidays.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/p5000pics2.htm

Malc

Nikon ED82 with 30xDS eyepiece, no vignetting at all, a great camera, have not had much time to use it, but pleased with results so far.
For instance look at the pictures of the two hours I had at Pennington (Lymington) on Tuesday
http://lynandmholidays.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/p5000pics2.htm

Malc

i'm using the same setup and i notice that it wants to vignette when i zoom out max optical but it's so minor that it's not a bother.
i'm getting used to the zoom located on the front side of camera and i really like the thumb dial on the backside.
here's my related gallery. only now getting into the swing of this camera but i'm excited by early results.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/revs45/sets/72157600205421154/

i'm using the same setup and i notice that it wants to vignette when i zoom out max optical but it's so minor that it's not a bother.
i'm getting used to the zoom located on the front side of camera and i really like the thumb dial on the backside.
here's my related gallery. only now getting into the swing of this camera but i'm excited by early results.

These images look very good. Some of the best I've seen so far from this camera. Neil.

Hi Ian

Thanks for that, you are using the zoom right? how many actual clicks of the optical zoom on the camera do you have to use before you have an unvignetted screen/pic?

Is any other user on this thread using a fixed eyepeice? if so, could i ask you the same question please?

Thanks

Paul

Paul,
On the Zeiss 80 with 20-60 zoom vignetting is minimal if you set the camera, at full zoom, so it is just short of touching the scope's eyepiece. It's seems to be one of those cameras that are better the closer it is to the eyepiece.
I find setting it up this way vignetting is cleared, through all the scopes' range at about 1/3rd camera zoom. Using the UR-E20 adapter vignetting is worse as it keeps the camera too far away from the eyepiece.

Regards

John

"i'm using the same setup and i notice that it wants to vignette when i zoom out max optical but it's so minor that it's not a bother."

Most digicam lenses that I've tried do not do their best work at full zoom, both quality-wise and focus-wise (of course these two are directly related ). I suspect that at full zoom there is not enough contrast for the camera to find focus , so they do a lot more "hunting" and will take the photo anyway , even though the subject may be not in focus. Most lenses work best between 1/3 - 2/3 rds zoom so you need to find/make and adapter that allows you to use this range of the lens. The wider you can use the lens the faster the camera will find focus as it has more light and contrast. Neil.

For all who are using Leica Televids and the P5000, I have started a new thread on an adaptation of the FSB-6 Bracket to fit this scope

Search Forum for:

Nikon P5000, FSB-6 Bracket, Leica Televid

Thanks Dougie

just received my P5000 yesterday,, was really surprised at how small it was,, at first I thought my big hands was going to have a tough time handling the camera,, took about an hour with the camera and reading the book to start feeling comfortable,,

hooked it to the back of my TV85 scope using the Nikon UR-E20 adapter and shot a few photos in the clouds and rain in the manual mode and was pleased with the outcome,, certainly a big step up from my old 990 in size and performance,, even with the dim image the auto focus was not hunting much to gain focus,, also like the macro which is the same 1.6 inch distance the old 990 offered,, place your ear next to the camera while it is turned on,, can hear those little motors inside spinning inside,,

will also be using the timed release feature in the video mode on a couple projects,, can set it to take one photo from every 30 seconds to one hour,, then the camera will make that into a video to watch,,

would imagine a second battery will be purchased soon,, took an hour to charge the one with the camera,,

still waiting for my SRB cable release to arrive which will work fine on this camera and my Oly E500,,

so far so good,, going to be a fun week (if the rain stops and the clouds move on)

Derry, I also heard that motor noise, but Nikon told me it's normal. Even with VR turned off, it is still partially active, so it's ready for use instantly.

I'm still waiting for a 28mm adaptor, and the only use I've managed so far is handheld. Images look a bit soft, but I'm hoping thats just hand held vibration.

Non scoping use is OK though, although I have to agree with the apparent lack of sensitivity ! Like for like against the D70, I get a good 2 or more stops available on the D70 over the P5000...

I'm trying to make a cable release holder out of bits, will report back if / when successful :)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back