• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Birds Of Britain Plate Collection (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Just decided to browse Saturdays Daily Express supplement, and sorry i did now. Cos on page 66 theres an offer on to purchase a set of 16 plates entitled 'The Birds Of Britain', beginning with The Thrush Family, followed by The Kingfisher Family.

Im no plate collector/fan, but these look like a beautiful set.

Has anyone actually seen any of these plates yet?

tracker

tracker said:
Hi,

Just decided to browse Saturdays Daily Express supplement, and sorry i did now. Cos on page 66 theres an offer on to purchase a set of 16 plates entitled 'The Birds Of Britain', beginning with The Thrush Family, followed by The Kingfisher Family.

Im no plate collector/fan, but these look like a beautiful set.

Has anyone actually seen any of these plates yet?

tracker

No, I have not seen them, but you might also look into the remaining plates that are still available from NHBS. They have plates from the original Birds of the Western Palearctic and from Raptors, I believe. Pretty expensive, though. But there are some very nice ones.

Not being English, but I sense som 'talk at cross purposes' as my dictionary describes it.
Plate (1) = 'saucer' in the SDE?
Plate (2) = 'original' drawing on paper?

Hi avifauna,

These are plates in the (1) postion in your list above. But they are larger than saucers, slightly, anyway. They are decorated with bird themes...... :t:

tracker

tracker said:
Hi avifauna,

These are plates in the (1) postion in your list above. But they are larger than saucers, slightly, anyway. They are decorated with bird themes...... :t:

tracker

Seems that we are talking about two different meanings with respect to "plates", then! My interpretation clearly was #2. Sorry about this. Glad you pointed this out, Hans. I did not even realize, at the time, that there was a second possibility! I should have known, of course. :egghead:

Last edited:
Hi Tracker,

Can I offer a 'fool's tip' by urging caution where any of these sets of decorative china/ceramic plates are concerned - that is unless you intend to hang them up purely for your own pleasure.

Don't be fooled by the advertising 'blurb' into thinking that they will be an investment, because more often than not the only direction the price will go is DOWN!

For example a set of 12 such plates depicting a different scene for each of the months of the year, was bought over a 2 year period in the early 1980's at a cost of £32 each. They are now worth only £5 each on the open market - and that's assuming you can find anyone daft enough to buy them even at that price!

Anthony Morton said:
Hi Tracker,

Can I offer a 'fool's tip' by urging caution where any of these sets of decorative china/ceramic plates are concerned - that is unless you intend to hang them up purely for your own pleasure.

Don't be fooled by the advertising 'blurb' into thinking that they will be an investment, because more often than not the only direction the price will go is DOWN!

For example a set of 12 such plates depicting a different scene for each of the months of the year, was bought over a 2 year period in the early 1980's at a cost of £32 each. They are now worth only £5 each on the open market - and that's assuming you can find anyone daft enough to buy them even at that price!

Hi Anthony,

I really appreciate the warning over my interest here. I was thinking of purchasing the 'odd' plate purely for my own enjoyment. But i do take your point, too, because i had also thought they could be an investment. So thanks for your advice........ :t:

tracker

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back