• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Nikon V1 (1 Viewer)

Photos from my morning out with the Nikon V1

Attachments

• bf spoonbill fish V1_DSC1742.jpg
    bf spoonbill fish V1_DSC1742.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 2,131
  • great cormorant wings V1_DSC1959.jpg
    great cormorant wings V1_DSC1959.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 1,708
  • chinese pond heron V1_DSC2283.jpg
    chinese pond heron V1_DSC2283.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 1,665
  • magpie robin V1 _DSC2036.jpg
    magpie robin V1 _DSC2036.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 2,004
  • grey heron V1 swzm25x_DSC1231.jpg
    grey heron V1 swzm25x_DSC1231.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,425
Excellent photos Neil. I've been waiting to see some images from the V1 and these certainly don't disappoint. No doubt the quality of the light and your skill as a photographer are a big factor, but these look very impressive. What I really like about them is how natural and unprocessed they look. Great quality for such a relatively small sensor.

Are they cropped or full-frame? What ISO setting were you using?

Feel like I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of these.

The Magpie Robin (pic 4) in particular shows superb detail for ISO800.

Damn - just as I was getting back on good terms with my bank manager!

I decided to take the plunge and buy a V1. Since the camera was announced I thought it would be an ideal camera for me - both for digiscoping and as a decent quality 'go anywhere' back-up to my DSLRs - and Neil's images certainly helped to encourage me splash the cash.Although already discounted, the price is considerably more than I really wanted to pay but I felt that the electronic viewfinder is a key feature, and the additional buffer and bigger battery would be advantageous over the J1 too. I'm already glad I did.

It arrived this afternoon and I just had time to give it the briefest of tests in the murky November afternoon light. There was only one bird on show - an obliging collared dove posing on a neighbour's chimney.

The speed of the camera is very impressive and everything seemed to work extremely well. The attached image is one of about 200 high quality JPEGs I shot in a little over ten minutes. I tested various settings. This one is 1/60 at F5.6 at ISO200. The lens was set at 30mm and it was captured using a Kowa 823 with 21x eyepiece. I'm amazed it came out so well at such a slow speed.

The picture was cropped slightly, and a levels adjustment and slight sharpening applied. It certainly bodes well for the future. My only concern was the weight of the camera, attached via a stepping ring to the DA-1. I'd like to provide it with some additional support somehow.

Attachments

• Collared-Dove_DSC0217.jpg
    Collared-Dove_DSC0217.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 1,573
I have been out 4 days last week with the V1, shooting with the Swarovski and Kowa scopes and various eyepieces ( not all at the same time as I'm still on "light duties" ). I even tested the 30 - 110 kit zoom. Boy, that was some magnification. I have read on DPReview in comments that the 30 - 110 zoom is sharper than the 10 - 30 zoom but I haven't done any direct comparisons yet.
Here are some with the Kowa Lens/Scope and the 30x eyepiece.
The third image of the male Magpie Robin with crab is straight from the camera (anyone can copy it and play with it ) and the fourth image shows some adjustment.
Neil

Nikon V1 plus 10-30 kit zoom lens and Kowa Lens/Scope Prominar and Kw 30x eyepiece and Swarovski UCA adapter

Hong Kong,
China.
Oct 2011

Attachments

• bf spoonbills V1 kw30x_DSC3358.jpg
    bf spoonbills V1 kw30x_DSC3358.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 680
  • grey heron V1 kw30x_DSC2840.jpg
    grey heron V1 kw30x_DSC2840.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 612
  • magpie robin crab V1 orig_DSC3147.jpg
    magpie robin crab V1 orig_DSC3147.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 897
  • magpie robin crab V1 adj_DSC3147.jpg
    magpie robin crab V1 adj_DSC3147.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 722
I have read on DPReview in comments that the 30 - 110 zoom is sharper than the 10 - 30 zoom but I haven't done any direct comparisons yet.

I too have seen various reports here in Japan that the kit lenses are somewhat lacking in IQ. Below are the only English reviews I have seen that has actually measured them.

V1 reivew
10-30 lens
30-110 lens

Not sure if the shortcomings have any practical relevance to digiscoping. I am guessing it you don't crop much or only output to the PC monitor or small prints, sharpness is "good enough."

Last edited:
I too have seen various reports here in Japan that the kit lenses are somewhat lacking in IQ. Below are the only English reviews I have seen that has actually measured them.

V1 reivew
10-30 lens
30-110 lens

Not sure if the shortcomings have any practical relevance to digiscoping. I am guessing it you don't crop much or only output to the PC monitor or small prints, sharpness is "good enough."

Rick,
As with all kit zooms they suffer at distance, which makes for "smudgy" images over 30 meters. The images I've posted so far have been from 15 - 40 meters.
We'll have to see what a good quality, ED glass, Nikon lens can do.
But the speed is nice at any distance. People should be able to digiscope birds in flight easier too.
Neil

I wanted to test out the 30 - 110/3.5-5.6 kit zoom lens so I hooked it up to the Kowa VA3 on the Kowa Support Bracket.
It's a great range of 1200 - 4200 mm ,unvignetted with some sliding of the camera needed.
I was shooting at around 100 - 250 meters for most of the shots. The kingfisher was about 30 meters.
Neil

Mai Po Nature Reserve,
Hong Kong,
China.
Nov 2011
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/sets/72157628017835438/

Attachments

• bf spoonbill V1 VA3 1720_DSC5433.jpg
    bf spoonbill V1 VA3 1720_DSC5433.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 665
  • grey heron groom V1 VA3_DSC6135.jpg
    grey heron groom V1 VA3_DSC6135.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 683
  • pied kingfisher V1 VA3_DSC5576.jpg
    pied kingfisher V1 VA3_DSC5576.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,085
  • pheasant tailed jacana V1 VA3 1860mm_DSC5898.jpg
    pheasant tailed jacana V1 VA3 1860mm_DSC5898.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 815
  • intermediate egret  V1 VA3DSCN0618.jpg
    intermediate egret V1 VA3DSCN0618.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 644
Great shots at that range Neil.

It's the 30-110mm lens and this sort of long range shooting that interests me.

My DSLR and 400mm +1.4x take care of things at short-medium range.

What is vignetting and performance like with this lens and the Swarovski 25-50 plus UCA please Neil?

Thanks

Last edited:
Great shots at that range Neil.

It's the 30-110mm lens and this sort of long range shooting that interests me.

My DSLR and 400mm +1.4x take care of things at short-medium range.

What is vignetting and performance like with this lens and the Swarovski 25-50 plus UCA please Neil?

Thanks

Have a look at my first post in this thread when I tested it . This test was with the UCA . Not much vignetting at all, and when you zoom the lens " a smidge" it's gone. You're good to go.

Ok, finally got out in the field today with the V1 on the Swarovski scope. What a joy to use. I can't get over how fast it is and I didn't even get to the 30 and 60 fps. The AF is spot on too and with the very sharp Electronic Viewfinder makes it easy to use outside in bright light and focus the scope.
I'm still learning the camera but here are a few from today , taken with the kit zoom 10 -30 mm zoom and the Swaro 25 - 50 x zoom , mostly at 25x.
I had a bit of a problem with shadowing due to mis-alignment which I'll fix tomorrow.
Neil

Nikon 1 V1 ( 10 - 30 zoom ) and Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw 25-50x zoom and UCA adapter

Hong Kong,
China.
Oct 2011

Hi Neil

Just wondering what is your impression with the noise level at higher ISO?
Thanks.

Weng Chun
Malaysia

Ah thanks Neil - I'd missed that post 1 was with the 30-110mm.

As you say, image quality close to the P7000 (although I love the tone of the V1 pic).

However with the V1's ISO and AF performance and frame rate, it looks like we finally have the digiscoping camera we've been waiting for.

I think I will wait for the January sales and see if the price drops. I don't think it's going to be a really popular camera at this price, so I expect it will come down in price quickly.

Complements on your images Neil, one question though. Notice that where contrast on the edge of the bird is greatest a fine white line appears, is this a function of the scope, camera or both?

Joe

Complements on your images Neil, one question though. Notice that where contrast on the edge of the bird is greatest a fine white line appears, is this a function of the scope, camera or both?

Joe

Joe,
Your probably seeing the effects of too aggressive Unsharp Masking.
Neil

JPY29,800. The production version will be black anodized. Looks like it just fits snugley over the lens with no connection to the body. Not sure if I would want the lens to bear the entire weight/tork of the camera.

JPY29,800. The production version will be black anodized. Looks like it just fits snugley over the lens with no connection to the body. Not sure if I would want the lens to bear the entire weight/tork of the camera.

Costs about half the price of the V1:-O:-O

But will seriously consider this once I receive good reviews from users of bothe the camera and adaptor.

Well it's a custom tooled anodized metal and the shop needs to put in a minimum order of 100, so it is not like they have the scale to sell it cheaper. Most of what they sell is custom made and cameras only have a sales life of a year at most.

I am not sure you will see a big difference in IQ from your P300. At least that is what my spreadsheets seem to be telling me. Once you equalize on effective focal length and shutter speeds, the V1/J1 basically gives up its 2-stop ISO advantage.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back