• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redstarts - Yunnan, China (1 Viewer)

Gretchen

Hi here are some more to id from Lijiang, just taken last week. I have guesses on them, though I'm not sure I have up-to-date names.

Bird 1 - a bit of a puzzle to me, and is unfortunately the only pic. I wonder if the white cap could be extensive enough to show a White-winged Redstart
Bird 2 - seems to be a Daurian Redstart - saw a lot of these
Bird 3 - is this a Daurian?
Bird 4 - (sorry for the lost of head!) this was in the area with bird 3, but I thought it wasn't a female Daurian because of the color, but now am thinking maybe it was a Daurian
Bird 5 - this bird had an all blue/grey breast, so with other features I assume it was a Plumbeous Water Redstart

Thanks for your help!

PS Sorry a bit of trouble with sizing photos on this computer - hope they're okay.

Attachments

• redstart 1a.jpg
    redstart 1a.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 76
  • redstart 2a1.jpg
    redstart 2a1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 75
  • redstart 3a1.jpg
    redstart 3a1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 88
  • redstart 4a.jpg
    redstart 4a.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 66
  • redstart 5a.jpg
    redstart 5a.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
1. Looks like it is probably a Daurian Redstart, but not the easiest angle
2. I think male Hodgson's. Definitely not Daurian, which should be blacker above, greyer on crown with clearer white spot on wing
3. Agree with Blue-fronted.
4. Errm. Female redstart sp.
5. Yes, Plumbeous.

2. I think male Hodgson's. Definitely not Daurian, which should be blacker above, greyer on crown with clearer white spot on wing

Ignore my Daurian ID then. Thought I could get away with using my Thailand guide for that one, but it doesn't even include Hodgson's.

Thanks Jim and John! that's definitely more redstart species than I had thought we would see. The blue-fronted in particular didn't look quite the same as the others, but I hadn't really looked carefully at that one in the book and failed to see it was really distinct.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back