• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sigma 150/600 contemporary (1 Viewer)

The translations made me chuckle - not sure what they were trying to say other than the focus ring is stiffer than the Tamron.

Nice to know that it does really exist!

Thanks John

below a sample shot taken in the show with the new C lens ,hand held ,indoor arena ,artificial light ,f8 ,600mm,1/500th sec,2500iso .focus point is on the metal v between the two lights ,full frame out of camera just basic editing with noise reduction done .

my general impression was its a well made lightweight lens that will hold its own against the sport model and in time will come to be the more popular lens due to its weight and portability and price .

the a/f appeared to be as fast as the sport model with no hunting at all ,if i was in the market for one of these i would definetly hang on till there available

Attachments

• sigma 150-600 C  sample .jpg
    sigma 150-600 C sample .jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 650
Wow, beautiful shot, Jeff! :) ..I'm counting the days until my pre-order comes in! :p

Cheers,
John

P.S. I forgot to say, "Thanks, Jeff!"

Last edited:
I remember buying a sigma mirror lens in 1986 trying to get around the price,s of telephoto lense,s was not a Good move but that was more down to not knowing what I was dealing with only used it once or twice got about £60 back for it, taught me a lesson never to jump in with both feet at the same time and afterwards I never went That route again and the following year I bought a spotting scope and for over twenty years I,ve never looked Back but there are always those times when I,ve wished I had a good camera and lense but at the end of the day I know which is the easiest route for me to follow in what I do but I still admire the photo,s on this site.

Last edited:
It's such a drag that they don't release them at the same time! Wonder why Canon always come first?

Paul,

Yes, it would be nice for them to be released at the same time. I have a feeling Canon users are more popular, and therefore to be released first. Even the Sigma version of the Contemporary is also listed as "coming soon".

Cheers,
John

From another thread, someone posted this today..

"I'm going to try to shoot some this weekend (Canon version). It's supposed to be here tomorrow."

Someone from that thread got some information on the Nikon version..

"How did you get the Sigma 150-600 lens from B&H (Canon version)? I just checked on it from them and they said it wouldn't be available till 5-15-15 (Nikon version)."

So that's wonderful news for Canon's! :) ..For the Nikon's, will need to wait some more. :p

Cheers,
John

Contemporary Shots

Went to the Photography Show and tried both the Sport and Contemporary versions of the Sigma lens. Light is so poor there that it is impossible to correctly judge each lens on optical performance. The MTF charts however on the Sigma site indicate that they are very similar and I would concur with this based on my shots taken at high ISO and slow shutter speed. Build quality of the Contemporary seemed very good and its lighter weight made it much easier to handhold. The light in the NEC is very poor so it was a miracle I managed to get any shots at all showing how effective the Optical Stabilisation is. Focusing speed of the Contemporary was good with little hunting in such low light conditions but not as fast as the Canon 100-400 mkiii. All in all I can see that Sigma definitely has a winner here especially at £899 which is the pre-order price advertised at Wex and Park Cameras.

I have loaded the pictures of both lenses onto my Flickr site so you can have a look but please do not be to harsh on me as they were not intended for a side by side comparison of sharpness etc because as previously stated they were taken in less than ideal conditions with camera shake being a real issue.

Because of the indoor lighting I have had to correct colour cast and exposure but have not applied sharpening to any.

www.flickr.com/photos/pejay7

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back