• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redstarts in Sichuan, China, April (1 Viewer)

Sasquatch Fingers

International Man of Leisure
In the first set, at least one of them (I think) is the White-Capped Redstart, but there's at least one other variety in this group. These were taken in the mountains of northern Sichuan.

Attachments

• whitecapredstart1.png
    whitecapredstart1.png
    127.9 KB · Views: 40
  • whitecapredstart2.png
    whitecapredstart2.png
    176.1 KB · Views: 37
  • whitecapredstart3.png
    whitecapredstart3.png
    116.2 KB · Views: 73
  • whitecapredstart4.png
    whitecapredstart4.png
    138 KB · Views: 47
And there was another that was a near match, but had some white at the tip of its tail (can't recall if it was the top, bottom, or both, either way I can't seem to find that picture even though I've looked at it in the last several hours).

1. Blue-Fronted Redstart?
2 & 3. Male and female White-Throated Redstart? These two were in the same neighborhood and the male was acting kind of flamboyant (as most of the male redstarts were doing this time of year, I assumed it was courting behavior).
4 & 5. I'm not sure how much the difference in coloration is due to lighting/processing, but one of these appears more brown than grey and the other is clearly grey. I'd put it at 80% chance that they are both female Plumbeous Redstart, but all the other PR females I saw were pretty far away, so I can't compare them directly in my mind.

Attachments

• bfrontredstart.png
    bfrontredstart.png
    112.6 KB · Views: 70
  • wthroatredstartmale.png
    wthroatredstartmale.png
    192.6 KB · Views: 88
  • wthroatedredstartfem.png
    wthroatedredstartfem.png
    91.1 KB · Views: 82
  • femredstart1.png
    femredstart1.png
    217.2 KB · Views: 80
  • femredstart2.png
    femredstart2.png
    142.4 KB · Views: 75
Of the second batch, no. 1 and 2 are correct (nice picture of the White-throated - mine are all extremely blurry), and the last one is indeed a female Plumbeous. Not entirely sure about the others.

(nice picture of the White-throated - mine are all extremely blurry)

Thanks. This speaks to my general luck. We were at Jiuzhaigou the day before and, as we were driving up to Huanglong, it started snowing and kept snowing. It was end of winter, so the water was low, but what there was and with the blanket of snow, it was all kind of dreamy. It seemed like a lot of the birds wanted to put on a show and, if nothing else, they stood out against the white backdrop very nicely.

Thanks. This speaks to my general luck. We were at Jiuzhaigou the day before and, as we were driving up to Huanglong, it started snowing and kept snowing. It was end of winter, so the water was low, but what there was and with the blanket of snow, it was all kind of dreamy. It seemed like a lot of the birds wanted to put on a show and, if nothing else, they stood out against the white backdrop very nicely.
Out of interest, how many bird species did you see in Jiuzhaigou and Huanglong, respectively? I was there in summer during the tourist season, had a bunch of nice lifers but far too few species compared to what I can see on my local patch in a day.

Out of interest, how many bird species did you see in Jiuzhaigou and Huanglong, respectively? I was there in summer during the tourist season, had a bunch of nice lifers but far too few species compared to what I can see on my local patch in a day.

This is my first attempt at counting species, going back over old photo albums from previous years, so I don't have a count yet. I would say I had the same experience (just different time of year), but my local patch right now is in India where there is some pretty mad biodiversity. But most of what I did see were lifers. Looking at my partial list, maybe 20-25 of them?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back