• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

I wish I could agree Arthur, but the little grebe is starting to go the same way as my water rail! Put it away, come back to it tomorrow! Luckily sleep is calling me and have lots of work tomorrow so I can come back to it fresh tomorrow evening rather than sit and fiddle with it all night.

Looking very much forward to this weekend, am going camping in La Dombes region. Slightly early for the best birds but should be at least a few whiskered terns in (I hope) and if not, there'll be plenty of other stuff about. Hopefully will have a lot to post next week!

A watercolourist should never work so much on one picture, hence the saviour of all paintings, a good slap of acrylic, has been added. I want to get this one finished tonight so as to start some new pics on Wednesday after all the sketching I hope to get done over the next few days.

Please please please, could everybody wish me a wryneck, I want one very much and have been very good this week!

Attachments

• chaudanneapril 037.jpg
    chaudanneapril 037.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 257
What a change Nick.taking the foreground away has opened the picture up and I love the way you are still drawn in to the L. Grebe. Luck with the Wryneck

Last edited:
nickderry said:
And if you'res till following, well done! Here are a few pics of where I actually see these birds, it's nice to see the location. Bienvenue à Besançon!

That looks a really nice place Nick - last time we travelled to far away places we went to Brittany - loved the north coast and hope to visit again. Love the little grebe.

Cheers Dryslwyn

Thankyou all that wished me luck for wryneck, it didn't work! No sign of them at all, didn't wish hard enough! :) Also I nearly missed out on Whiskered Tern (I knew it was still a bit early for them, luckily a couple dropped by right at the end of the day, giving distant but certainly tickable views), otherwise, I filled about 40 pages (some with just one or two squiggles). Here are my highlights.

I remember once visiting Woolston Eyes in Cheshire to search for Black-necked Grebe in summer plumage and saw two distant ones, this weekend there were hundreds of them, and some not shy at all. Here are the sketches, with a few GC Grebes and a Little Grebe hiding in the background.

Attachments

• dombessketches 001.jpg
    dombessketches 001.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 216
  • dombessketches 002.jpg
    dombessketches 002.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 211
  • dombessketches 005.jpg
    dombessketches 005.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 194
I think the highlight for me was the purple herons, a species I'd always wanted to sketch but never had before (only seen a few fly-bys one day 2 years ago), ambition fulfilled:

Attachments

• dombessketches 003.jpg
    dombessketches 003.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 188
  • dombessketches 009.jpg
    dombessketches 009.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 197
  • dombessketches 010.jpg
    dombessketches 010.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 183
  • dombessketches 011.jpg
    dombessketches 011.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 196
  • dombessketches 012.jpg
    dombessketches 012.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 198
Also on show were the White storks, not sure how wild these birds are as they nest in the zoo in the area but are free flying, like the night herons I saw. Never mind, in a picture you can't really see the difference!

Also two different grass snakes, one with a fish, one that is not in the same picture as the R C Pochard, also saw an adder, two new reptiles for me!

Attachments

• dombessketches 004.jpg
    dombessketches 004.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 209
  • dombessketches 006.jpg
    dombessketches 006.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 191
  • dombessketches 014.jpg
    dombessketches 014.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 198
  • dombessketches 013.jpg
    dombessketches 013.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 192
  • dombessketches 017.jpg
    dombessketches 017.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 188
think I'm nearly there now......

first whitethroat of the year, first sedge warbler of the year, a fly by kingfisher, on the same page the birds on the right hand side are, from the top, osprey, cattle egret and whiskered tern.

then we have some Crag Martins and Alpine Swifts, both lifers for me, in a beautiful area of cliffs on the way back.

I've got about 20 paintings to be getting on with now so should be very busy, my little grebe pic is looking very dull and dirty so am going to restart it aswell, I really liked how it was looking in the last update, should have just finsihed it then rather than fiddling. Live and learn.

Attachments

• dombessketches 007.jpg
    dombessketches 007.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 191
  • dombessketches 015.jpg
    dombessketches 015.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 209
  • dombessketches 016.jpg
    dombessketches 016.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 188
  • dombessketches 018.jpg
    dombessketches 018.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 193
  • dombessketches 019.jpg
    dombessketches 019.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 209
All terrific Nick. My favourites are the heron head studies and the kingfisher flyby. I can really see how much energy you've put into all these sketches, they are brimming with life. Makes me want to escape the office and spend my time more constructively, sketching in the outdoors!

Woody

Superb work. Incredibly prolific sketching! All of it is great though the Black-necked Grebes are outstanding. The G C Grebe climbing on to the nest is bang on...Also like the Stork head and nest, as well as the super flight studies of Alp Swift and Crag Martin.
Plenty to work on there Nick, well done and thanks for putting them on!

Just have to add my appreciation of a truly exeptional folio of drawings - absolutely breathtaking! - For sheer believability - the heron in flight is so true, it would render a thousand photographs redundant. Of the huge amount of other drawings here which I enviously admire, the swifts are mind-blowing!
The whole series amount to a prolific and stylish contribution - I would get painting as soon as my a*se hit the chair - you are such a rich vein of form (am I detcting a slight change in your observational work,Nick - or is it just my imagination?).
Wonderful, wonderful work - if I could make one drawing of this quality over the next ten years, I'd be happy (and I am not patronising you!).
Good lad!

Thank you all for the comments, sadly, I'm still buzzing so much from all the frenetic sketching that I haven't made a decent picture of anything since I got back, one sedge warbler is done and is pleasing but not great, and I've ruined a lot of paper trying to paint reeds with purple herons in them! I hate reeds I hate reeds I hate reeds! Grrrrrr. (Getting the wax crayons out now, should help!)

I've been getting too bogged down trying to paint detail (Something I can't do very well - unlike some other people on this forum) and so the purple herons have twice had their beautiful light reedbed habitat turned into something looking like congealed mushy peas (I worked in a chip shop for ages so know what this looks like and know how much I hate the sight of it) So here I post two 'ruined pics' that have hit a dead end, and may be turned into collages later, and also the 'wave of the future' that hasn't been turned into a lost mess, keeping a light touch with this one, no white or black to be used (bad watercolourist me!)!

Also a sedge warbler, badly over exposed photo, try tilting your monitor to see it better.

Attachments

• dombessketches 020.jpg
    dombessketches 020.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 215
  • dombessketches 021.jpg
    dombessketches 021.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 204
  • dombessketches 022.jpg
    dombessketches 022.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 182
  • dombessketches 024.jpg
    dombessketches 024.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 197
Being a bad watercolourist, there is now white on the new herons, though it is done and dusted and I can move onto a different picture, that sedge warbler needs a little bit of tinkering to get the osier to look less like a christmas tree.

Enjoyed some redstarts, wood warblers and peregrines today, France doesn't seem so different to Wales now, though swapped red kites for black (there are usually both though!) and seeing a lesser whitethroat made my day as they're pretty rare in Ceredigion.

The little grebe from furhter up this thread is now finished. Half an hour of tinkering with a big brush has created something that will certainly not please all, I'm just glad it's over, wooh.

Attachments

• finavril 006.jpg
    finavril 006.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 218
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back