• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Japanese or Euro made 8x32 in $300-$500 range (inclucing used)? (1 Viewer)

b-lilja

Best Japanese or Euro made waterproof 8x32 in $300-$500 range (including used)?

I have refined what I'm looking for currently and this is it...contenders seem to be the Nikon Premier LX (used), the Kowa BD, the Vortex Viper ED or non-ED, or...???

Last edited:
You can find the Meopta Meostar 8x32 as used or demo in that price range as well. I picked two up at the $400 price point.

Not seen the Vortex, but I'd go with the Meopta 8x32 as an over all package in preference to the other two.

David

I think you've got the short list narrowed down. If you can find a Meostar or Premier LX used for that price it's a good deal. I think Pentax 8x32 DCF ED, Alpen Rainier 8x32, and Leupold Golden Ring 8x32 can be added to the list of "if you find a great deal used/demo" models.

I had the Vortex Viper 8x32 HD for awhile and they are phenomenal optically. Honestly, I looked through an 8x32 LX L Nikon and didn't think they were that much better outside of their edge-to-edge sharpness. The Viper HD has outstanding center field sharpness/resolution, great transmission, super bright and neutral color, and very low CA. The Vortex warranty is also unbeatable. I would also take a long look at the about-to-be-released 8x32 Vortex Talon HD and see what the initial reviews are like (although the Talon HD series is China made, whereas the Viper HD is made in Japan, if that matters to you).

All of your potential options will be pretty awesome optically, so it will probably come down to personal preference. There is no "this one is the best" that will be objectively true for all users. I would strongly recommend you order up a couple of pairs from places with unconditional return policies like Eagle Optics and try them yourself.

Used Nikon 8x SE and 8x EII.
Used Swarovski habicht 8x.
They are all porros.
They are grand.

I already have EII's. They are great. I need to clarify - I need waterproof, and as compact as possible. The Swaro waterproof porro's are very hard to find here.

Ok.
Go for the Vortex viper HD, or the Sightron II 8x32.
There's a recent big thread about the latter.

If you try the Viper 8x32 remember to look at a pond of ducks. I compared a Viper 8x32 with my Leica ultravid 8x32 BR for a couple of days and thought they were very close. The Leica had a bit more brilliant colours and slightly better contast and flare control. On the other hand the Vipers had a smoother focus and more eye-relief making them slightly easier to use. Not much between them.

Then, after a couple of months, I looked through the Vipers again, at a pond full of ducks and got the impression the sweet spot was rather narrow compared to the Leicas. While through the Leicas most of the ducks were in focus, I had only a few of them in sharp focus through the Vipers.

All in all, I found the Vipers to be very good bins, with maybe one shortcoming.

George

the Vipers are indeed very compact. Not all 32mm bins are that small so check the specs before you buy.

I will agree with the assessment above too, the only real optical knock against the Viper 32mm is that it doesn't have a huge sweet spot, you're not going to get the "edge-to-edge" sharpness effect, but the optics in the sweet spot are superb for the $$ and they are very bright and sharp and easy to use.

Last edited:
Used Leica 8x32 BN or BA. Optically not quite up to the modern competition, but virtually indestructible and, of course, waterproof.

Hermann

Used Leica 8x32 BN or BA. Optically not quite up to the modern competition, but virtually indestructible and, of course, waterproof.

Hermann

Also very good ones. Only less bright than modern bins, on other aspects (resolution, contrast, colour rendition) quite up to the competition. Same optical train as current Ultravids. In my experience late BN has better flare control than BA, but that was a very late BN with the same coatings as my Ultravid BR. Otherwise the same alpha view ...

If you try the Viper 8x32 remember to look at a pond of ducks. I compared a Viper 8x32 with my Leica ultravid 8x32 BR for a couple of days and thought they were very close. The Leica had a bit more brilliant colours and slightly better contast and flare control. On the other hand the Vipers had a smoother focus and more eye-relief making them slightly easier to use. Not much between them.

Then, after a couple of months, I looked through the Vipers again, at a pond full of ducks and got the impression the sweet spot was rather narrow compared to the Leicas. While through the Leicas most of the ducks were in focus, I had only a few of them in sharp focus through the Vipers.

All in all, I found the Vipers to be very good bins, with maybe one shortcoming.

George

That is really the big difference between any less expensive binocular and any more expensive binocular. The Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 is great on-axis and for about 80% of the FOV ,whereas the Nikon EDG II 8x32 is sharp in 100% of the FOV all the way to the edge. Same way with the SV's. I am curious to see how much of the FOV is sharp in the new Vortex Talon HD's 8x32 I ordered. They have a 9.1 degree field and 477 foot FOV but how much of it is sharp. If you had a 90% sweet spot it would still be great but if you only have a 70% sweet spot maybe not so good.

I saw some 10x32 Nikon LX's yesterday and was really impressed by their optics and quality. Definitely binoculars for grown ups. But so heavy and big - feels contrary to the spirit of 8x32s, which for me are really a transitional size between compacts and mid size. But they certainly gave me pause, and are beautifully made. This is still for my bike tour, though...

right, the weight is the one knock on the LX/Premier Nikons for a "compact" set. They are fairly compact in terms of dimensions but heavier than the norm. For example, the Viper 8x32 is only 20oz (4oz lighter) and has even more compact dimensions.

the Sightron 8x32 SII is only 18 oz.

I had Kowa 8x32 BD eye relief too short for me, for some reason I did not like them.
Only seen one maybe two Meopta on the bay last year.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back