• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paramo clothing (1 Viewer)

Hi Garath - I was walking down a country lane and there was bramble overhanging the path!

Glosbirder, don't be put off by my comments - the jacket is great in all other respects and the rip is actually very small, more of a nick. I won't effect waterproofing or windproofing, which is why I opted for the pajaro in the first place. It's also exceptionally comfortable and silent. One of the good things about the pajaro is it can be rolled up and put in a rucksack, it's light, and not bulky - If I was planning to do any really 'rough' birding whilst out, I'd probably wear a my old cheap roll up waterproof over the top or temporarily put my waterproof fleece which i wear underneath, over the top of the jkt since the benefits of the pajaro are that it's waterproof and warm, I can't imagine that would be compromised by another temporary 'protective' layer over the top if walking/working through brambles etc (Which I'd do if I was ever planning to walk in an 'uncultivated' bramble ridden forest area for birding or climb rocky mountains which I have been known to do!)

i bought my first paramo in 1989. used it in the lakes for several years, in all weathers. in one downpour, and there were many, my legs were soaked through, i was not wearing paramo trousers, but my upper body stayed dry, despite the rucksack i was carrying.

thinking it would eventually wear out or performance would fade, i bought a new paramo in 1997, my original coat was still going strong so i sold that replacement. i was given a new paramo alta jacket some years ago, have worn it once. my original coat is still going strong and my favourite coat in cold inclement weather. in warmer wet weather i go with my berghaus, simply because it is not as warm. so my alta will be sold.

there will always be someone else who has had a good or a bad experience with clothing, such is life.

IF my 1990 paramo does fade i would look at other makes but unless paramo have reduced the quality or efficiency of their garment in the manufacturing process they will be a tough act to beat.

i don't need a particular designer label, or the latest fancy colour scheme when walking just a coat that keeps me warm and dry in all weathers. my dfdark bvlue 1989 paramo

my two pence worth.

dave

Despite posting earlier that my Cascada jacket has only had light use, I did really put it to the test once last year. My partner and I went for a two hour walk by the Solway Firth in torrential rain and very strong wind. I had my Paramo jacket on and she was wearing her Country Innovation Ventile jacket. After two hours of horizontal driving rain my Leica Trinovid binoculars had let in water and fogged up but we both had completely dry top halves when we took our jackets off.

The only problem with my Paramo jacket was that, being soft and clingy, it moulded itself to my legs in the wind and the water ran straight off, saturated my Craghopper trousers and then wicked through my socks to fill up my boots. My partner's CI jacket, being slightly stiffer didn't cling so much, so the water shed off the bottom without running down her legs.

When it came to drying our jackets off, though, it was no contest. A quick shake of my jacket removed most of the water and it was completely dry in about half an hour. The CI Ventile jacket had to dry off overnight.

Ron

I use the CI Kez Smock and spend every working day (pretty much) out in the field - so in a variety of Weathers. There is only one problem in a downpour in becomes stiff, but that isn't an issue at all especially when your dry! I wonder through scrub, bramble patches and hop the odd barbed wire fence and whilst I have got snagged on all of these my smock is still going strong (even with a minor puncture on the wrist and one under the arm. I've never washed, treated or generally cared for it - its been around the world in arctic conditions and generally kept me warm, with the ability to layer up underneath.

I got a couple of mates with Paramo kit and they reckon its great as well, if not entirely as robust as the Kez smock.

So it depends; if your the type that gets properly stuck in and in all conditions and a variety of habitats, doesn't generally treat your clothing/coat with any respect and still expect it to perform the get a Kez smock.

If you can't handle the stiffness, bill oddie style but don't requre it to be able to go through the hedge backwards and you will treat it with respect, go for a Paramo.

Actually I should say its a lot less Oddie than the other styles!

Birdwatch did a review on it some time ago, I recall!

I use a CI Rover when it is really cold or the chance of heavy rain, very good coat indeed ? yes it does get heavy when wet but i dint care coz im dry.

I also use the Paramo Pajaro, this is a very good coat as well with lots of pockets and is very light to ware, and the zip vents under the arms is a good idea, you can also roll the sleeves up when it gets a bit hot, and coz its light you can take it off and tie around you waste like a jumper.

And for really bad days with wind, cold and rain i use a CI Harrier fleece under the Rover, this is also water and windproof.

B :)

Last edited:
Can anyone advise, do the Paramo clothing sizes come up quite small, I have heard they do. I have no dealer near to me and will purchase via mail order. Thanks

Foothills in Sheffield are still advertising mail order Pajero's at under £200. I think they are the cheapest at the moment.

Last edited:
On Springwatch last night I noticed that Simon King was wearing a Paramo jacket. I think it was a Pajero. It didn't look too fetching with his tea cosy hat though.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back