• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clones—Pentax 8x32 ED DCF and Opticron Imagic 8x32 BGA SE? (1 Viewer)

The specs do not match

Opticron Angular field of View 8.77 degrees
Pentax Angle-of-view 7.5

But go for the Opticron firsT. If not happy, trade to Pentax. ;)

You can't tell if two bins are clones just by looking at teh case design. In some bins it's just a similar design case. In others they're using a common case component so they'll have the same dimensions. But the specs never lie: FOV and eye relief all tell you about the eyepiece design. Weight tells you if they really are the same (or at least have the same amount of glass or ballast inside!)

I'd say no but they are quite close but the close focus and height are different (13mm). As is the weight (but who weights accurately to 5g?).

Sometimes can't tell with the FOV measurements either. They seem all to move in 0.5 degree increments. Funny that!

But the RSPB bins are usually Chinese OEMed so I wonder who is making them and if any of the US distributers are picking up the same bin (say in the same way as the Sicong Xi'an Navigator is on both side of the Atlantic under a variety of different brand names).

This sort of ties in with the "Mystery Bin" on the 8x42 thread. Another Chinese bin with ED/HD glass. Obviously a trend for 2009.

The mystery thickens!

RSPB HD 8x42 specs

8x 10x
Lens Diameter: 42 42
Exit Pupil mm: 5.2 4.27
Eye Relief mm: 17.2 15.2
Field of View deg: 7.5 6.5
Close focus m: 2 2.5
Height mm 140 140
Width mm 125 125
Weight g: 670 655

Binocular Model Pentax DCF ED 8x32
Binocular Type Roof prism
Aperture - Pentax 8x32 32mm
Magnification 8x
Angle-of-view 7.5
Field-of-View at 1000 m 131m
Exit pupil 4mm
Relative-brightness 16
Eye Relief 17mm
Dimensions-Depth 53mm
Dimensions-Width 126mm
Dimensions-Height 127mm
Objective-lens-diameter 32mm
Diopter-adjustment-range +/- 4dpt
Close-focus 1.5m
Eye-Distance-Adjustment-Range 58-74mm
Eyepiece-Rings 4-stop-helicoid-type
Weight 665 gram

Last edited:
I'd say no
Me too. I obviously conflated the Opticron and the RSPB and made up a non-existent bin. I hereby officially retire from the clone-spotting business and once again apologise for wasting everybody's time. If could have deleted this thread I would have.

Michael

Me too. I obviously conflated the Opticron and the RSPB and made up a non-existent bin. I hereby officially retire from the clone-spotting business and once again apologise for wasting everybody's time. If could have deleted this thread I would have.

Michael
Please quit posting on this thread, Michael wants to forget about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back