• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why does Nikon make the best binoculars in the world? (1 Viewer)

Exactly! That is the point of my thread. Nikon has all the bases covered with a great if not the best binocular at each price point. Some of the best less expensive(you hear me Lilcrazy and Brock) small reverse porros(Prostaff) and roofs(Monarch) and then moving up to THE best porro's(SE,EII's) and then moving up to the best roofs(EDG). Just like you say for whatever amount of money you have to spend be it a small amount(You hear me Lilcrazy and Brock) or a medium amount or a large amount Nikon has some of the best values at that amount of money. Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica are almost all high end whereas Nikon has all the markets covered. From the sub $100.00 price range(you hear me Lilcrazy) to the $2000.00 plus price range. Nobody has the different markets covered like Nikon. Whatever amount of money you have to spend it would be a good idea to see what Nikon has because it is probably the best for that amount of money.

You realize that this opinion puts you on record as agreeing with what RJM in thread #45 and with Wuchak in thread #58 stated earlier about the Nikon Corporation and the binoculars it manufactures and almost certainly will be used against you later when you change your mind, don't you?

Last edited:
When I started owning inexpensive compacts for backpacking many long years ago they were always Nikons and I was never disappointed. I still miss my Sprint 7x21s. They were the most fun binoculars I've ever owned.

There you go again not allowing me to change my opinion when I get a new binocular. Heh, technology is changing fast man so when I try something new I have a right to change my opinion and like something better. Are you sure you are on the right thread? We are talking about the best binoculars in the world and sorry to say those usually cost more than $100.00 which I seem to remember was at the absolutely top of your budget. I guess in your world the Olympus Tracker 8x25 is the best. HaHa. Just don't leave them in the sun too long! You might get meltdown.

That seems to be your biggest problem - you can't remember!
But if thats all you got, I guess if thats what you think, then thats the way it must be. Wish you'd be a little more creative though - just look back at some of your bed time stories and it might jog your memory. Certainly does mine!

When I started owning inexpensive compacts for backpacking many long years ago they were always Nikons and I was never disappointed. I still miss my Sprint 7x21s. They were the most fun binoculars I've ever owned.

This is scaring me we are starting to agree. Do you remember when Consumer Guide did a binocular comparison years ago and a small Nikon compact called a Venturer beat out full size Zeiss and Leica binoculars. I think in a recent Consumer Guide the 10x25 Nikon LX was 1st again in a group of full size binoculars. Nikon has always had top rated binoculars and alot of times they were not that expensive. Weird huh. The Sprints were good binoculars althought the FOV was a little small. That's the remarkable thing about Nikon. They have made some really good binoculars at all price ranges. Here was a refurbished Sprint that was selling for $35.00.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=NK7370BR

AND fuzzy edges! You recommended the Orion 8x42 Ultaview Porro's which were very good but you know what the fuzzy edges eventually got too me. I said to myself why bother with these when the Nikon SE's or EII's are better so I have to ask you outside of the historical signifigance of these old porros and the fact that you get them so cheap it is the DOF and large FOV that makes them attractive? I guess I am going to have to buy a pair of these to see what the attraction is. You seem to be infatuated with them or is it just the thrill of the chase. Ok, back to Nikon's are the best binoculars in the world. Do you agree with that statement?

Hmm, a 9.3 degree field of view with a sweet spot approaching 90% vs an 8.8 degree with a similar percentage or a 7.5 degree with a 100% sweet spot. Sounds pretty comparable to me.

Depth of field and wide field of view are the primary attractants. The relatively inexpensive price is just a bonus. It is a beautiful thing for some of us that know how good of a binocular these are. It must be catching on though as a pair just sold for $112.50 on the bay less than an hour ago. That wouldn't have been you that went and bid at the last minute?

;)

..and to answer your question, yes, Nikon does make some very fine binoculars. The Nikon view is quite attractive at a variety of price points.

This is scaring me we are starting to agree. Do you remember when Consumer Guide did a binocular comparison years ago and a small Nikon compact called a Venturer beat out full size Zeiss and Leica binoculars. I think in a recent Consumer Guide the 10x25 Nikon LX was 1st again in a group of full size binoculars. Nikon has always had top rated binoculars and alot of times they were not that expensive. Weird huh. The Sprints were good binoculars althought the FOV was a little small. That's the remarkable thing about Nikon. They have made some really good binoculars at all price ranges. Here was a refurbished Sprint that was selling for $35.00.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=NK7370BR

We agree on plenty of issues Dennis. I sold those sprints about a year ago for $50 and immediately regretted it. My problem with both the prostaffs and the travelites of which I've owned both and sold, is FOV. The optical quality was excellent however. I also sold my Monarch 3s due to the same FOV issues. My next pair of compact reverse porro compacts will likely be Vortex Vanquish. I'm trusting Sancho on this one and they have a decent FOV.

Tne Nikon EDG may not be the best binocular for all people but since they developed it specifically for birders I think it comes the closest of any binocular I have tried to being perfect. There is little to complain about it. The Swarovision although it no doubt has excellent optics falls down on the focus which on my sample was harder in one direction and was not near as smooth as the Nikon EDG I now have. This to me is very important because I don't want to have to even think about the focus when I am following a bird. I am also very sensitive to CA and I find the Swarovision has more CA than the EDG which I find almost non-existent. Also, for some reason I started to see rolling-ball which I didn't see at first in the SV and it really started to bother me. Also, I prefer the ergonomics on the EDG because it fits my hands better and to me it has perfect balance and I also like the feel of the armouring better. I think the Swarovision's have a goofy as heck strap and case too. The case is way to BIG and the strap is so long every time the binoculars bounce they rack you in the privates. I can just picture those Austrians in their Kneesocks and loose shorts with that BIG binocular case hanging around their hairy knees yodeling every time they see an unusual bird. HaHa. So I prefer the EDG now. What did you prefer on the SV over the EDG?

this is the clue that you are getting ripped off. They should be made to see whatever is in front of them. All the bushnell's i bought over the years for less than $100 have been great.

Dennis
I bet I could post dozens and dozens of your "reviews" and opinions on the EDG such as these. I suppose you have the right to change your mind, but I guess all these posts of the past were just so much more of the Dennis and lack of Relative Objectivity we have all come to expect and love. When you look back it really is quite endless and boggles the imagination.
Posted by Denco the Diopter on 12/12/2011
I just gave you two links where the Zeiss FL smoked the EDG in resolution! Here they are again.
At Cabella's in Grand Junction, CO. I took an EDG, FL and EL and compared them outside. My ranking for on-axis resolution was 1st FL, 2nd EL, and third EDG. Now let's see Birdwatching.com says the FL has better resolution, the Mega Review says the FL has better resolution and I say the FL has better resolution. That's ALOT of experienced people disagreeing with you. The two reviews that preferred the EDG were Holger and Albinos and they did so because of the EDG's sharp edges. They gave no ranking as far as on-axis resolution. The Zeiss's transmission at 95% is way superior to the EDG's at 88% also making for a brighter image which could also contribute to seeing more detail. The EDG's CA control on-axis although good is not near as good as good as the Zeiss FL which Albino's said was almost perfect. Heh, I will tell you what I will give you $700.00 for your EDG. You can't sell it on E-bay for that. Send me a PM.

Posted by Denco the Diopter on 12/11/2011
The edges of the EDG are definitely better than the Zeiss FL but I feel on-axis the Zeiss is sharper and and also has better CA control than the EDG. 3.7 oz. is quite a bit when comparing 32mm's which are bought for their compactness and light weight. The Nikon has no resale and no hydrophobic coating. Deal killlers for me. You would have to be brain dead to buy an EDG at the price Nikon wants.

Thank goodness we are ALL not brain dead, but somehow you keep trying to convince us all that we should shell out an extra $1800 for these (or in my case $1900). Please set us all straight and continue to show us the error of our optical ignorance.

PS: I just got a good deal on hip waders on the bay. Now I'm ready for more Dennis the Diopter posts;)

Tom

"You can fool some of the people, some of the time, but I do love a good bedtime story"

My next pair of compact reverse porro compacts will likely be Vortex Vanquish. I'm trusting Sancho on this one and they have a decent FOV.

No, no, don't trust me on anything! I don't even trust myself! I steered you badly wrong last time towards those Vortex Fury, no?
Anyway, this thread is making me a) doubt my own sanity and b) dislike binoculars.;)

Dennis
I bet I could post dozens and dozens of your "reviews" and opinions on the EDG such as these. I suppose you have the right to change your mind, but I guess all these posts of the past were just so much more of the Dennis and lack of Relative Objectivity we have all come to expect and love. When you look back it really is quite endless and boggles the imagination.

Thank goodness we are ALL not brain dead, but somehow you keep trying to convince us all that we should shell out an extra $1800 for these (or in my case $1900). Please set us all straight and continue to show us the error of our optical ignorance.

PS: I just got a good deal on hip waders on the bay. Now I'm ready for more Dennis the Diopter posts;)

Tom

"You can fool some of the people, some of the time, but I do love a good bedtime story"

Boy you must be brain dead! I had more time with the FL and the EDG and I was able to evaluate them better under different conditions. Alot of people on Bird Forum change their minds about different binoculars. So what. That also was a 10x42 EDG which performed of course a little differently. I still think the Zeiss FL is a tad better on CA control than the EDG but neither has very much. I have changed my mind on the resolution especially on the 8x32 EDG because I think it is as sharp on-axis as the Zeiss FL and sharper at the edges. I don't think you really have to worry about me convincing you to spend $1800.00 more on a pair of EDG's. I know that is WAY beyond your budget. And of course I got my 8x32 EDG II's for $750.00 considerably less than the $2200.00 Nikon wants.

Hmm, a 9.3 degree field of view with a sweet spot approaching 90% vs an 8.8 degree with a similar percentage or a 7.5 degree with a 100% sweet spot. Sounds pretty comparable to me.

Depth of field and wide field of view are the primary attractants. The relatively inexpensive price is just a bonus. It is a beautiful thing for some of us that know how good of a binocular these are. It must be catching on though as a pair just sold for $112.50 on the bay less than an hour ago. That wouldn't have been you that went and bid at the last minute?

;)

..and to answer your question, yes, Nikon does make some very fine binoculars. The Nikon view is quite attractive at a variety of price points.

HaHa! You shouldn't have told us about those! Now you have competition! your secret is out.

And of course I got my 8x32 EDG II's for $750.00 considerably less than the $2200.00 Nikon wants.

This is really all about Dennis' return on investment and the probable resale value of his EDG IIs once he has grown weary of them.

This thread might be a reasonable discussion had Dennis paid full boat for his Nikon's and then still sold his FLs.

Nikon makes the best binoculars in the world because Dennis was able to game their warranty.

The gloating is unseemly, Dennis. But then again, I gloated a bit when I got my EIIs for $270 (thanks to Tom), making them the best binoculars in the world, for me.

carry on,

David

I would have never guessed, in a million years, that discussing binoculars could produce results similar to discussing politics, sex and / or religion.

Such fervent passion, such unbridled enthusiasm.......so ridiculous.

It's not about binoculars, it's because the rhetorical Q the OP posed is equivalent to asking "Why is America the best country on Earth?", or "Why are Dogs better than Cats?". It is intended to provoke and impossible to get a consensus -and- absolutely pointless.

BTW, Dogs ARE better than cats.

No, no, don't trust me on anything! I don't even trust myself! I steered you badly wrong last time towards those Vortex Fury, no?

Anyway, this thread is making me a) doubt my own sanity and b) dislike binoculars.;)

:-O

Last edited:

I doubt I will ever sell the Fury's. I like them every bit as much as the Sightrons and 6.5x is perfect for me.

Never tried those. Is the focus smooth? Most Leica's I have tried have gritty focusers like there was sand in them although the optics are very good. Are they heavy?

Focusing is smooth. I don't notice the weight. If you've never had a pair before then they might seem heavy at first but you get used to it. I keep mine at 12x and love the distances I can identify birds at that I wouldn't be able to at 8x. Twice the price now than when I bought mine 5 years ago. Why would Leica do that?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back