• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron TGA WP Imagic 8x32 v Fury 8x32 (1 Viewer)

flossiepip

Opticron advertising for this binocular says that they can guarantee that the TGA will match or outperform any roof binocular up to $350 US. Well I've just bought a S/H near new TGA and I have a Fury roof, so why not briefly compare the two.

Of cause this can only be a personal view, so for what its worth here goes my brief review.

A quick look at the optics first and as for the FOV the Fury to me just wins out, a bit of a surpise to me over Optirons little porro but then the TGA seemed alittle brighter than the Fury. Both had to my eyes very similar sized sweet spots and edge performance, with the Fury having a some what warmer view and the Opticron a colder one!

The TGA is shorter and wider than the Fury and looks rarther nice and chunky. It is alittle lighter to but in the hand feels some what heavy against the Fury! This has to be down to the Fury's excellent balance. Its a big 8x32 but that works for me. The Fury also win's with its super smooth focuser and bullet shaped eyecups.The Opticrons not bad but its just not so good either.

When it comes to the accessories the Fury win's hands down, very good case, excellent neck strap etc. The TGA's case is semi-rigid and the binoculars only just seem to fit! The neck strap is rarther narrow and the lens cap's and rain guard feel cheap.

If I had to choose one of these then I would just about go for the Fury but the thing is for the price you pay then the Opticron is a hell of a good deal and I have to say that I did just like the view from the Opticron alittle bit more than that of the Fury, Did I say that!

I would still pick the Fury though. But when I think that I paid about one third the price for the TGA as I paid for the Fury, then I'm very glad that I have both. For what its worth!

I've only tried different models of the Fury and the Imagic TGA WP and they both were very nice in their own way. Rather chalk and cheese as you say and not an easy comparison. Seem to remember your Opticron was a very good price. Well done.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back