• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo xls tripod with canon500mmf4 (1 Viewer)

Granary Studio

Guys,

Looking at a Gitzo 3542 xls tripod. Their own site describes this as suitable for up to 400mm lens,

Has anybody got experience of this with a canon 500mm f4?

I am looking for a taller tripod to for bird in flight, shots. I want to avoid too much stooping and backache.

Any advice appreciated,

Neil.

Guys,

Looking at a Gitzo 3542 xls tripod. Their own site describes this as suitable for up to 400mm lens,

Has anybody got experience of this with a canon 500mm f4?

I am looking for a taller tripod to for bird in flight, shots. I want to avoid too much stooping and backache.

Any advice appreciated,

Neil.

I have it's shorter brother (3530LS) and it is absolutely fine for my 600 F4 IS + 1D4 and Wimberley 2 with or without t/cs.

For your 500 F4 - buy the 3542 with confidence! The 5 series is better but not enough better to justify the extra weight/cost. I tried a friends 5541 but could see no advantage for me, however he is 6foot 7 inches tall so he needed a bit more height than the rest of us!

Forgot to mention - I also have an older model 3 series mountaineer - works well for high angles eg Moon shots with the 600, though not as stable as the Systematic.

I think the 3542XLS will be fine. The key is to use caution with the bottom leg section. The bottom section is quite small and can flex a little bit if fully extended with my Nikon 600 f/4. The 500 f/4 is a little lighter and about the same as my 200-400, so you should be fine.

I've been eyeing the XLS for use on ground that is not level and around water. It's a great choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back