• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What to buy!! (1 Viewer)

Right,

Have a few pence available to upgrade my scope, so I open the debate on your recommendations? Seeing as this is my first post, I will put this on the Swaro page too! But first of all, hello….!

Right, I’ve had a look (well several looks) through the Leica APO 77 and also the Swarovski ATS 80 HD and both are top of the list. Not too keen on the Zeiss as it doesn’t seem to suit me, and the same for the Opticron. I’m a spectacle wearer too if anyone can comment on that side of things, mainly personal opinions!

Would ideally like a scope suitable for Digiscoping too, but the main reason is a scope suitable for work. So maybe a 30x eyepiece is the way forward, but the zoom tempts me!

No real worries on the weight side of things either, but I do require something suitable in low light conditions and hence the larger models. I know choosing a scope is all down to personal choice, but your advice would be most welcomed!

Or maybe I should just wait and see if Leica brings out the rumoured 82!!!! Oh decisions, decisions!

Thanks all for your help.

I recently bought the Swarovski ATS80HD & 20-60x zoom lens & also a 2nd hand Swarovski DCB to try my hand at Digiscoping.
As you have tried this & the Leica scope you know how they both perform so it's down to personal choice really.
I don't wear specs so can't comment on that aspect but I'm sure others will.

I always wanted to own the Swarovski scope so am probably biased but I love it.
One important thing is warranty & Swarovski have an excellent warranty/repair service in the UK where as Leica is not so good.

Here are a couple of my first Digiscoped pics using a Fuji Finepix 401 @ 3 x optical zoom & the scope @ 20-20x zoom.
I am quite pleased with these for a first attempt even though there is a bit of vignetting.

Anyway enjoy whatever you choose,

Regards Bish. :t:

Attachments

• Collared Dove 2.JPG
    Collared Dove 2.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 210
  • Goldfinch.JPG
    Goldfinch.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 225
Cheers Bish. And warranty is a key issue for me. I will be using the scope for work, so with the breeding season fast approaching, the scope will be used regularly. So if I do get a problem or anything, I need a fast turn around and the warranty with swaro is a major plus point. I'm off to an optics demo next Saturday for some more "testing", and subsequent thinking.

And the "leg" standing Goldfinch is most amusing!

HowardColmer said:
Right,

Have a few pence available to upgrade my scope, so I open the debate on your recommendations? Seeing as this is my first post, I will put this on the Swaro page too! But first of all, hello….!

Right, I’ve had a look (well several looks) through the Leica APO 77 and also the Swarovski ATS 80 HD and both are top of the list. Not too keen on the Zeiss as it doesn’t seem to suit me, and the same for the Opticron. I’m a spectacle wearer too if anyone can comment on that side of things, mainly personal opinions!

Would ideally like a scope suitable for Digiscoping too, but the main reason is a scope suitable for work. So maybe a 30x eyepiece is the way forward, but the zoom tempts me!

No real worries on the weight side of things either, but I do require something suitable in low light conditions and hence the larger models. I know choosing a scope is all down to personal choice, but your advice would be most welcomed!

Or maybe I should just wait and see if Leica brings out the rumoured 82!!!! Oh decisions, decisions!

Have a look at the Nikon ED82 which if you like it is available for £669 including a 30W eyepeice at warehouse express. When I was looking a couple of years ago I placed all the top scopes together and looked through them and of them all I preferred the image from the Nikon.

I have recently purchased the Viking AV-80 ED with a 22x wide angle lens. Everybody who has looked through mine have been very surprised at the amount of light it lets in and the field of view is huge. I personally prefer it to my grandads Swarovski ATS 80 HD and the big difference is that it is only half the price. The camera adaptor is not due out until the spring (being redesigned), but hand held digi-scoping has worked a treat. Available from the rspb and when I got it, it was on offer - not sure it still is but still a lot cheaper than Swarovski and Leica.
Buying optics is however down to personal preference!!!

I'm with GAZ - Leica - mine is 5 years old, has given fantastic service, is used almost daily and with the 32x WW is fantastic for diigscoping with my Nikon Collpix 995.

My neighbour had a problem with her APO 77 focussing after a bump out of the back of her car - turnaround was 6 days ! ! ! I think that speaks for itself

HowardColmer said:
Right,

When you are choosing between Leica and Swarovski you really have to decide on couple of things.
1. Which feels better to you? They are both optically outstanding and if you poll 100 people you will probably get a 50/50 split and that will be due to brand loyalty not because anyone can really see any optical difference. Both companies optics in their top line scopes (APO & HD) are superior to what your eyesight is so seeing an optica quality difference between the two is near impossible.
2. Warranty and service. Leica, here in the states, has a Passport Lifetime warranty. Basically that means that no matter what happens to your scope, even running it over with the car, they will repair or replace it. That's a pretty outstanding warranty. Swarovski has a lifetime warranty, not as comprehensive as the Leica but within reason they will take care of anything for you.
3. Eyerelief. This is important for your comfort as you look thru the scope. On an investment of this size you should take the time to look thru both scopes for a period of time sufficient to determine what is easiest on your eyes.

When you are comparing the finest optics available you really cannot go wrong with either.

OH, and if you are waiting for Leica to announce an 82, you will not be seeing it in the near future. I just attended the USA Sports Optics Show and there is no mention of it.

If I can answer anything for you please don't hesitate to call on me.

Doug
Camera Land
[email protected]
212-753-5128

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back