• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best bins ? (1 Viewer)

A few more thoughts on waterproofing and sealing. It would seem that IF porros would be subject to the same changes in internal volume as CF. Perhaps the problem for CF has been making seals that work well with sliding tubes. The Swarovski Habichts have a rather stiff focus, perhaps as a result of the seals.
I wonder if the pressure imbalance from changing internal volume is any worse than what all sealed binoculars suffer from changes in altitude or barometric pressure. I have heard, for instance that sealed binoculars should not be shipped by air, where they might encounter an unpressurized environment. Anybody know anything about that? If it's true, that could happen before you even buy the binoculars. Henry

Last edited:
ingle1970 said:
hello , can anyone simply tell me which is the best all round binocular , regardless of price ? .

A bit of a late entry here, but I wanted to throw the Swarovski SLCs into the mix. After spending three years looking at binoculars, the 7x42 SLCs were my choice. I have had them for several years now, and I haven't regretted the choice one bit. They are the perfect "fit" for me, and the focus knob is, to me a real dream - easy and fast.

As others have mentioned, binoculars are a very personal choice, and you should always try before you buy. I absolutely hated some very popular models simply because they did not feel right in my hands.

Clear skies, Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back