• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fungus on optics (1 Viewer)

I saw a documentary several years ago about a species of microscopic fungus that can exist on the surface of glass. It even etches the glass in extreme cases. This site Here should help.

I was told it was called 'blooming' and it's basically when the optical coating gets a fungus growing on it. This is quite common, apparently, and if it is removed soon enough, doesn't cause any significant damage.
I believe it is due to damp though, so care of optics is essential, especially when you've been out on a damp day!

laika said:
Have you had problems with fungus on your optics?

Last year I purchased an expensive Nikon telephoto lens through ebay that arrived with fungus behind two of the elements. The previous owner of the lens lived in New Orleans, so I should have been warier. Since this was an expensive piece of equipment it was worth my while to spend $175 to have the fungus cleaned off by a guy in Colorado who is purported to be the "fungus-infested lens rescue master."

I was fortunate that it had not been present long enough to cause etching in the lens coatings. I was also fortunate (I guess) in that the seller was willing to pay for most of the cost of this cleaning. But this was a lens that was worth hundreds of dollars. Were it a cheaper lens or a low-priced pair of binoculars, it would not have been worth the expense of having the thing disassembled and cleaned.

I was just in Hawaii and I noticed in a local camera shop that they sold not only dessicant (which you put into the case with the optics to absorb moisture), but a kind of device that actually is purported to help prevent fungal invasion of lenses and other optical devices. If I lived somewhere "hot and sticky," I would look into this seriously. Some photo buffs in tropical areas store their equipment in temperature and humidity-controlled cabinets, as well. Fungus can be devastating.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back