• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Outer Hebrides (Uists and Benbecula) (1 Viewer)

hampers

Hampers
I’m planning a birding trip to the Outer Hebrides, (Uists and Benbecula) in May next year. Benbecula is central, would this be the best place to base ourselves? Or, alternatively would North Uist be best although its not central. Its many years since I went to the Uist and it was a flying visit to do a job and out within 24 hours.
Will be self-catering and looking for a property with 3 bedrooms, if anyone has any recommendations help much appreciated.

Have reading the many trip reports and there’s loads of information, thanks to all. However if someone could give me the actual names for some sites would appreciate it, they are :

Stinky Bay (have lived in the Inner Hebrides where there was a Stinky Corner guess it would be easy to find anyway!)
Coot Loch
Archies Garden

Last thing does anyone know where I can buy the latest Bird Report for the Outer Hebrides.

All advice gratefully received.

Many thanks

Phil

Try Brian Rabbitts, County Bird Recorder for the Outer Hebrides, rabbitts 'AT' hebrides.net. Ill look later for the number of the superb place where i stay, Short Eared owls in the garden, no time right now.

How long are you staying Phil ?
We spent a week at Lionacleit (camping) in May 1995 and it was a great place to stay: plenty of breeding waders just up the road, and central for the Uists: we covered the whole area in the week, just about.
But if you're staying only a couple of days then I would go for N Uist, most of the action is there (around Balranald).

How long are you staying Phil ?
We spent a week at Lionacleit (camping) in May 1995 and it was a great place to stay: plenty of breeding waders just up the road, and central for the Uists: we covered the whole area in the week, just about.
But if you're staying only a couple of days then I would go for N Uist, most of the action is there (around Balranald).

Dave
We are going for a week, thinking of Benbecula, if can find self catering property with 3 bedrooms, looking at Stephen's recommendation above, to stay but open to suggestions.

Phil

Having come within a hairs breadth of buying a house there a few years ago, i know the place very well, and would say Balranald has more birds reported from there purely and simply as it is a RSPB reserve, and therefore gets more visitors than most other places on the Uists, therefore most reports. Every beach and inlet on the west side has multitudes of waders, ducks and gulls, and the rocky inlets on the east side can turn up anything. Stinky bay is north of Borgh, ( the benbecula one, not the N Uist one ) the big bay with the stone jetty on the north end, and Coot Loch from what i remember is just inland from Stinky bay, otherwise known as Loch a Chinn Uacraich. The best place for Divers, is in the Lochs along the track behind Ruabhal, go down alongside the tip, and the road for Lochmaddy has plenty too. Sea Eagle is best seen at the north end of North Uist, floating above the Glac Ghlas quarry, just by the turning for the Harris ferry. The creeks around the north and south ends of Benbecula are great places to explore.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back