• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

raccoon deaths (1 Viewer)

amkid247

Chickadee Wisperer
today i went to my local pond to see the ducks and saw something unexpected. 6 dead raccoons floating in the water. there were big racoons and then there were a few small ones but didnt seem to be baby ones. we've had thunderstorms and i assume the creek they live around (and that flows into the pond) flooded and from what i can tell the water was moving very fast b/c the sand dried in a way that looks like rapids. i can only think that the raccoons were in the creek when it flooded and they were swept away and drowned. otherwise someone would have had to kill them and then dump then in the pond :C
has anyone else ever have this happen to them when a group of raccoons dies?

Attachments

• 0701071934.jpg
    0701071934.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 0701071934a.jpg
    0701071934a.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 75
  • 0701071934b.jpg
    0701071934b.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 0701071935.jpg
    0701071935.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 0701071937.jpg
    0701071937.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
more pictures

Attachments

• 0701071941.jpg
    0701071941.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 0701072005.jpg
    0701072005.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 0701072007.jpg
    0701072007.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 75
Wow. Really sad! They are amazingly smart critters. I love them..! I know that they are pretty good swimmers. I wonder if there was something else that killed them. Maybe they got hit with a lightning bolt? Who knows? This may sound strange but photo #4 is very artistic and morbidly beautiful. :-C

Parvo virus

A friend of mine is a wildlife rehabilitator like me(I do the feathers,she does the furs) and she has lost a number of baby raccoons this year to Parvo virus.Any that she takes in now are immediately immunized.Maybe this situation is also caused by Parvo.
Teresa

tms1950, please explain to me why I always see raccoons dead in groups? It always seems strange to me that I see groups or may it be familys of raccoons dead on the street or highway together. They really seem to be connected to each other, much more than other critters you see.

i think that someone might have killed them. this pond has a creek connected to it that is surrounded by houses and they live in the creek and venture into peoples yards at night during some time, theres some crazy people out there. i think maybe they were trapped and then killed somehow b/c the racoon's face looks like it was in distress and very pissed when it died, i had to turn the raccoon over in pic 4 b/c it was the first one i saw and all i could see were the backs of floating animals and i didnt know what they were. its quite sad b/c i love my suburban wildlife, i live by a pack, and behind a highschool with a large field with a wooded edge and theres rabbits, and squirrels, raccoons and opossums around and i just love them all.

PS. its quite sad living in this time period when it seems that people just dont care about the lives of others. in all my 15 years ive seen about 10 raccoons and only one was actually alive! my first, and only opossum was found on the side of the road gushing blood from its mouth and nose after being hit by a car. i asked a police officer to help but he couldnt be bothered. i assume my poor opossum died that night...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back