Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Weirdest UK Twitch

Old Friday 9th November 2018, 18:50   #76
jurek

Well, not British and all the other way round.

Once I dipped the big twitch. Going back, I picked a fellow twitcher in my car.

The guy first told me that whale is 'a mystical animal'. Then he went to talk about some mystical Aurantia book, which talked about people of all colors of the rainbow. I asked him whether there are blue people and green people. He confirmed. Green people lived in India, according to him, and blue people died out. I was about to make laugh of him. Then I remembered he earlier said he was seriously ill. OK, I thought. If you are ill and in pain, feel free to believe in whatever mysticism best comforts you.

Last edited by jurek : Friday 9th November 2018 at 18:53.
Old Friday 9th November 2018, 18:55   #77
peedee

To blend hitching and the weird, I once got a lift to Portland for a woodchat but had to lie down in a flatbed truck with a tightly fitting cover. After sliding about for an hour, I was relieved to see Weymouth and not the insides of a madman's laboratory.
Old Friday 9th November 2018, 19:10   #78
Andrew Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedee View Post
To blend hitching and the weird, I once got a lift to Portland for a woodchat but had to lie down in a flatbed truck with a tightly fitting cover. After sliding about for an hour, I was relieved to see Weymouth and not the insides of a madman's laboratory.
KER-LASSIC!
Old Friday 9th November 2018, 19:14   #79
Andrew Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Nice one. Sounds like you had an incredibly lucky escape though from what was almost certainly an undead zombie!!

Smelly Porpoise makes a refreshing change from their usual diet of Polar Bear turd.
Old Friday 9th November 2018, 19:46   #80
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Clarke View Post
Smelly Porpoise makes a refreshing change from their usual diet of Polar Bear turd.
You are aware that it kinda reads as if your 'gorgeous volunteer' then ended up eating a dead porpoise on the beach in front of you?
Old Friday 9th November 2018, 20:08   #81
Andrew Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
You are aware that it kinda reads as if your 'gorgeous volunteer' then ended up eating a dead porpoise on the beach in front of you?
Did it really read like that?
Old Friday 9th November 2018, 20:22   #82
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Did it really read like that?
It really did!

(How long can we keep this up?!)
Old Monday 12th November 2018, 09:23   #83
Andrew Clarke

What is it with Hartlepool and crazy listers? Twitching a Little Swift at night must be up there with the strangest twitches ever! I trust the ladders were kept down overnight and nobody tried for a ringing tick...

I do hope there are some photos of the local residents awakening to the crowds!

“Oh, go back to bed pet, it’s only those White-throated Robin spotters back again.”

Last edited by Andrew Clarke : Monday 12th November 2018 at 10:11.
Old Monday 12th November 2018, 12:27   #84
Paul Longland

Quote:
Before long this incredible beauty was sat on the beach in front of us scoffing a decomposing porpoise. Happy days -
Yes but what was the Gull doing?
Old Tuesday 13th November 2018, 12:18   #85
duncan fraser

Quote:
What is it with Hartlepool and crazy listers? Twitching a Little Swift at night must be up there with the strangest twitches ever! I trust the ladders were kept down overnight and nobody tried for a ringing tick...

I do hope there are some photos of the local residents awakening to the crowds!

“Oh, go back to bed pet, it’s only those White-throated Robin spotters back again.”

It could have been a Life of Brian moment the next morning as they open the curtains to a large crowd of onlookers
Old Tuesday 13th November 2018, 18:36   #86
keith

Quite a few years ago, a group of us were watching a Little Bunting in a garden in Hartlepool, the curtains were opened by a lady in a nightgown, and promptly closed, they're not easily phased up here, the locals are brilliant and put up with us very well.
Old Tuesday 13th November 2018, 21:25   #87
jurek

I thought that twitches nowadays are not as weird as they used to be...

Perhaps there is better information, better transport, clothing more suitable for being outdoors, and so on...
Old Tuesday 13th November 2018, 21:50   #88
Cliff1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhanlon View Post
Ahem, I did my best: https://www.amazon.co.uk/UK500-Birdi.../dp/0954334787

Lots of good twitches and moments. A few scrums, the worst perhaps the 1990 Dunge ST treecreeper. Only visible by laying on your belly on the shingle and looking up into the middle of various bushes. 4-5 people could do this comfortably. The other 150 present mostly just piled on top!

The ancient murrelet - car crash on the M4 when I was 16 put my Mum and me in hospital with head injuries; the car written off and my optics flung onto the carriageway at 70mph. After minor surgery we went for the train station in a police car blaring blues & two's but missed the train by seconds. Took a 60 mile taxi journey to Ilfracombe where we stayed over. next morning - boat cancelled. Gutted... and this was my 2nd attempt!

Funny moment last yr at the American redstart on Barra - about 3 carloads of us went to the pub afterwards then we had to find an obscure hostel in the middle of nowhere in the dark. We eventually arrived to find the doors locked. We gathered around the house peering through various windows with torches and saw a generously proportioned guy asleep on his sofa with mouth wide open. Next minute my phone rings - it's the hostel wondering where we were. Oops - wrong house!
And then some twats car alarm kept going off all night waking the whole of the island......sorry about that
Old Wednesday 14th November 2018, 15:18   #89
john miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by prhodes View Post
Ah, Saturday at the Golden-winged Warbler. After no news of the bird, spontaneously we all just started running - over walls, through hedges, down alleyways, through car parks, until roughly back where we all started, there was still no news of the bird. Like Mike Reid's Runaround.

Eventually, it did show well and roads were blocked and busses held-up, etc, etc. I think there may be pictures of this out there.
Not only were the busses held up, but birders rushed onto them to view the bird over the fence from the top deck.

Last edited by john miller : Thursday 15th November 2018 at 11:09.
Old Thursday 15th November 2018, 22:39   #90
eskimocurlew

Saw the Dartford Sociable Plover - was living in Shrewsbury, trained it to Birmingham to see The Pogues with GF then hitched to Dartford and saw the bird. Hitched back - and got lift from Newport Pagnall to my front door in Shrewsbury from John Vidal, Guardian environment correspondent - who invited me to play for his cricket team in Oswestry. Which was nice.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: