• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dowitcher ID Please (1 Viewer)

Oldnintheway

United States
I doubt I'll ever be confident with these birds. And they're some of my favorite. I had this pegged as long-billed but second guessing. Douglas County Wa. Just east of the Cascades. Both occur. Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_0732_1DSC_0732small.jpg
    DSC_0732_1DSC_0732small.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC_0730_1DSC_0730_01small.jpg
    DSC_0730_1DSC_0730_01small.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 46
Hi Bobbitworm,

I can give you reasons why I think it is actually a short-billed:

In summer plumage, Long-billed are normally much darker uniform red; this is more orange toned.

Patterning on coverts and tertials has broad pale stripes and irregular barred patterning. On Long-billed these are normally plain or lacking the contrast of SBD.

Barring extends past the legs and under the belly. on Long-billed, the belly is normally unmarked.

The eye is towards the top of the head, so appearing above the line of the bill.

I only come across Dowitchers on an annual basis when leading tours in US and Central America, but, and I'm happy to be corrected by my learned friends in North America, I think this is Short-billed.

Stu

Hi Bobbitworm,

I can give you reasons why I think it is actually a short-billed:

In summer plumage, Long-billed are normally much darker uniform red; this is more orange toned.

Patterning on coverts and tertials has broad pale stripes and irregular barred patterning. On Long-billed these are normally plain or lacking the contrast of SBD.

Barring extends past the legs and under the belly. on Long-billed, the belly is normally unmarked.

The eye is towards the top of the head, so appearing above the line of the bill.

I only come across Dowitchers on an annual basis when leading tours in US and Central America, but, and I'm happy to be corrected by my learned friends in North America, I think this is Short-billed.

Stu

I agree fully.

Hi, could you give some detail on what are the distinguishing features you are applying making this a Long-billed? Thanks
I still think it is long billed dowitcher
short billed dowitcher and long billed dowitcher has different coverts pattern
dark center of short is more like triangle,pale tips V shaped
and in long billed is Pentagon like,pale tips semicircle like
long billed has barred or chevroned marks on flank,and in short billed is dots

Not a familiar subspecies to me, but the shape is short billed. Long billed looks like there is a baseball inside it. With the neck stretched out like that, long billed would have a slight bulge in the upper chest and would like it's preventing tipping over forward. See the black silhouettes here:
https://www.surfbirds.com/ID Articles/dowitchers1005/dowitchers.html

I spent a good while at that site before posting. The silhouettes would be much better compared if they were in a similar position. I thought the indented lower back better matched the long-billed. The slightly decurved bill is what got me re-thinking the ID. These differences are so subtle!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back