Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Ultravid HD+ 12x50

Old Tuesday 20th August 2019, 06:01   #1
Malsam

Ultravid HD+ 12x50

Hi all, apologise if this topic had been discussed just unable to find it in a topic hence would like to pose my question here.

Im in the market for a 12x, Zeiss doesnt have it locally so Im into a Leica and a swarovski. I have access and tried both, (for a short period only) each has its pros and cons hence am looking for more insights from owners or experience users. I have a EL 8.5x42 hence Im familiar with Swarovski. For both financial and curious reasons, the little kid in me wanted to get a different brand i.e. Leica to complete the experience. So far those that Ive asked all fall to a EL at the end of the day and they all have a swarovski to begin with.

Would Leica owners share your view so that I will have a more complete picture of what to expect? Owning different brand will pose any concerns etc.?

Thanks all!
Old Tuesday 20th August 2019, 07:57   #2
John A Roberts

Hi Malsam,

Always a good starting point for reviews about larger binos is Roger Vine of ScopeViews
Although his perspective is primarily that of astronomical use, he also includes analysis of terrestrial/ daytime use
His reviews are detailed, balanced and insightful, so read carefully. See the full listing here: http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/BinoReviews.htm

He’s reviewed both the 12x50 Leica Ultravid HD (pre+) and the Swarovski EL SV
And he’s also reviewed the 10x50 versions of the UV HD+ and EL SV, so some more perspective on the qualities of the two 'families' of binoculars

I have an EL SV 12x50, and of all my binoculars it has the greatest ‘wow’ factor - every time I first use it of a day, I’m both amazed and delighted by the image
It’s better in this regard than any of my other favourites: the Swarovski Habicht Porros in 8x30, 7x42 and 10x40; the Leica Ultravid HD 7x42, and; the Zeiss Victory FL 7x42

A couple of points in relation to the Swarovski vs the Leica models:
A) as described and illustrated in Roger’s reviews, the Swarovski has a pronounced flat field effect, and the Leica has a more conventional one as found on most binoculars
The flat field is preferable for astronomical use. However, for daytime use preferences vary - with some individuals having strong views either way - and most finding either acceptable though different

B) the Leica has superior control of stray light and veiling glare (an Ultravid family characteristic)
The Leica has little to none and the Swarovski a small amount. If there’s one thing I’d like improved on the Swarovski it would be this

C) and the Swarovski has greater eye relief which may be the deciding factor if you wear glasses. Otherwise, either is fine

The Swarovski and the Leica are the two superior 12x50’s - either is an excellent choice

John
Old Tuesday 20th August 2019, 13:26   #3
Malsam

Thanks for providing your valuable pointers and the link! Yes I'm not wearing glasses hence both seems appealing to me. One observation I do have for my existing SV 8.5x42 is that I do get blind spot quite often and have to adjust my viewing position whereas leica allows me to just get it right most of the time.

As for the flat field effect, yes I do realise that and I do experience a little dizzy at times but I'm trying to get used to it for the additional benefit you have mentioned. Having said that, if I were to go ahead to purchase a leica, swapping between them simultaneously for viewing could potentially create some viewing confusion? How do overcome that or its not a concern at all in the first place?
Old Tuesday 20th August 2019, 19:23   #4
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

Malsam,

John has provided very in depth information, I have both 12X50s and I do not have trouble switching from one to another. Regarding your last question, only you can obtain the answer. I would try the Leica ( it is substantially less in cost), and make sure there is a good return policy, your viewing with them is the only way to get the answers you seek. If they do not work out, look for a slightly used 12X50 EL.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 20th August 2019, 23:45   #5
tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsam View Post
Having said that, if I were to go ahead to purchase a leica, swapping between them simultaneously for viewing could potentially create some viewing confusion? How do overcome that or its not a concern at all in the first place?
I've never heard anyone say they have such a problem. Just as you surmised at first, it can be fun to use binos with different characteristics. You may discover a clear preference, or not. Experience is the only way to find out. (I have both Leica and Swaro myself.)
Old Wednesday 21st August 2019, 03:12   #6
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

I agree with practically everything said above.

I would have the UVHD+12X50 if it had adequate eye relief. It didn't so I bought the SV EL 12X50. I really can't think of any reason to NOT buy the Leica except for that or if you just have to have the Swarovision flat field.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 21st August 2019, 03:32   #7
Malsam

Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts and to confirm my thoughts of owning different lines and experiencing it differently! Really appreciate the insights! :-)
Old Friday 30th August 2019, 00:10   #8
NDhunter

There is another 12x50 that I think you should consider. That is the Meopta Meostar 12x50 HD, I have had
one for a year or so, and I really like it. My experience is wide ranging, and this one should be one to try before
you buy.

Jerry
Old Friday 30th August 2019, 21:42   #9
tenex

Jerry, if you've compared the two, how noticeable do you find the difference in field of view? (Leica 301'/100m, Meopta 277'/92m)
Old Saturday 31st August 2019, 03:02   #10
NDhunter

I have not compared them side by side. I do really like this Meopta, so include it in your choices.

Value and performance are important.

Jerry
Old Saturday 31st August 2019, 20:31   #11
14Goudvink

The difference between 8.5X and 12X isn't all that great. How about a Swaro SLC 15x56 as you will be needing a tripod anyway?
Old Saturday 31st August 2019, 22:32   #12
John A Roberts

For those interested in knowing more about the Meopta 12x50 HD, these two reviews provide a great introduction:

- Lars/ looksharp65's at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=358921 , and

- David/ typo's at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=333798

John
Old Sunday 1st September 2019, 01:33   #13
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

I tried the Meopta 12X50, nice optics, however the ER and shape of the eye-cups did not work for me. I have the 12X50 UVHD, a great glass for both terrestrial viewing and hand held astro. I do not wear glasses, if I did, they would not work for me due to the lower ER.

Give them a go, there are other options, the Meopta is a great choice in 12X50.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: