• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cat in Tuscany (1 Viewer)

colincurry

England
Took these in Tuscany on a track through a vineyard. I used my Panasonic FZ300 at 600 mm. The shots are both at 600 mm and also with a 100% crop.

I was struck by the size of the creature, the length of its legs and by the constant marking of its territory.

It is probably just a large moggy but I would welcome any thoughts.

Thanks

Colin

Attachments

• P1010577 BF.jpg
    P1010577 BF.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • P1010577 a BF.jpg
    P1010577 a BF.jpg
    1,008.3 KB · Views: 63
  • P1010581 BF.jpg
    P1010581 BF.jpg
    981.2 KB · Views: 29
  • P1010581 a BF.jpg
    P1010581 a BF.jpg
    947.7 KB · Views: 41
Took these in Tuscany on a track through a vineyard. I used my Panasonic FZ300 at 600 mm. The shots are both at 600 mm and also with a 100% crop.

I was struck by the size of the creature, the length of its legs and by the constant marking of its territory.

It is probably just a large moggy but I would welcome any thoughts.

Thanks

Colin

Spotty legs and a nasty ratty tail prophesy bad things. Looking carefully you can also see the back stripe come down over the rump and onto the tail (it should stop and the tail then have fully separate rings that are even dorso-ventrally). The tail rings are all wrong, too wide dorsally and, it seems to me from a difficult angle, narrowing ventrally to create almost triangles. Domestic tabby all the way I'm afraid.

Cheers

John

Thanks, John.

Can't say I am surprised!

Colin

Very sensible of you. It is likely that domestic introgression into Wildcat is chronic across Europe. In Spain some tour operators are advertising trips to areas where the cats are "all pure Wildcat", but photos have come back showing a rather different story in some cases, though there are also photos of decent looking cats up there. It is essential to know and use the full suite of characters on any cat seen, and definitely NOT take any guide's word for it, as I am aware that some guides have continued to state "all cats pure" even after being shown evidence to the contrary.

The other place I have seen a few photos of "Wildcats" from is Belgium and TBH all of those showed signs of hybridisation. I suspect you need to be somewhere very wild indeed to see a pure Wildcat in Europe. Anywhere with a lot of ferals is going to have a lot of hybrids.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back